Shaking in new '22 Yukon. Just breaking it in or a real problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NT Automotive

Reaction score
Sounds like the problem is flat bottom tires but if replacing tire doesn't fix it then inspect wheels. A slightly bent wheel rim/lip/step will also cause similar vibration between 45-65mph.

Stick wheel(s) on a balancer to visually verify if bent/wobbly in any way. If so replace wheel under warranty and you're good to go.

Unless its a 22 inch wheel being driven over the trillions of deep potholes in LA, I highly doubt the OEM wheel is bent. But can happen from mfg and if it does usually its found on a new wheel that was either bent during shipment to the assembly line or during transport to dealership.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was fortunate to find and purchase my first Yukon XL this month. I absolutely love driving it but I have one concern that I'm hoping others on here might have some insights about. Almost as soon as I took the car on the road (after purchasing) I started hearing a shaking that to me seemed to be 100% wheel imbalance (based on experience with previous cars with the same sound/feel, and that shaking going away after a rebalance). It seems to be of different intensity at different speeds, and it also seems to not occur in the same speed ranges each time I drive.

I took it in for service and the service guy experienced the same shaking/noise and ultimately decided on a full wheel rebalance. They said they took it out for a spin and declared it fixed, but as soon as I got on the road it seemed worse than before.

Other mechanics I've spoken with believe it's probably just the suspension "settling" or "breaking in" and that it should go away eventually. Not much difference if I engage 4H or keep on 2wd, breaking is smooth, sometimes I feel it in the steering wheel, and it seems to be better/worse on left/right curves on the freeway.

Does anyone have a clue if this is normal or if I should check out a different dealer to do my warranty service? The "new car" excitement is getting a little spoiled by this worry, but I can get over it if it's normal or if I can get a better idea what the problem could be.

Thank you!

The 21 Yukon Denali xl that belongs to my best friends parents I believe was built in either late 2020 or early 2021, bought in April of 2021. I’ll have to check out the door jamb sticker next time I give its ceramic coating a maintenance detail. I’ve been up and down the mountains roads we live up on several times with them in the Denali and it has zero shakes, wobbles, or vibrations.

I agree with everyone else that it’s probably permanent flat spots in the tires. I’ve read many times over the 8 years of being a member here about how awful the factory Bridgestone dueler Alenza tires are and how prone they are to developing flat spots when they sit for long periods of time. My 2006 Denali had brand new dueler alenza tires on it when I bought it used from a GMC dealer in February of 2015. While I don’t think mine had flat spots in them, I still absolutely hated those tires unlike any tire I’d had previously on any of my other vehicles. My personal opinion is that they rode just “ok” on pavement but didn’t corner worth a darn on the mountain roads and had zero grip in rain or snow. I got rid of them three months into owning my truck.

OP
OP
ShotGoat

ShotGoat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have another service appointment booked for tomorrow so I hoping we can get this resolved soon. For what it's worth, my ride came with Continental Crosscontact LX 20. Thank you to everyone for sharing your insights! I knew this truck was supposed to be a smooth ride and was disheartened by those "experts" that said it's normal, just didn't make sense... I will follow up with progress.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have another service appointment booked for tomorrow so I hoping we can get this resolved soon. For what it's worth, my ride came with Continental Crosscontact LX 20. Thank you to everyone for sharing your insights! I knew this truck was supposed to be a smooth ride and was disheartened by those "experts" that said it's normal, just didn't make sense... I will follow up with progress.
Worst case, make a bet w/ the dealer. Tell him "I will buy new Michelin Defender LTX M/S from you and have you put them on. If the ride goes back to normal, you will work it out w/ GM as warranty. If it stays the same, I bought myself way better tires, and you will fix this car so it rides like it should. Either way you get to sell a new set of tires, and potentially make money from warranty work."

If he declines; tell him "thank you very much, I'll go buy tires at Costco/Discount Tire/Sams Club/Your Local Michelin dealer. And start taking my vehicle to <next closest GM dealer> for all other work. Appreciate you much."

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worst case, make a bet w/ the dealer. Tell him "I will buy new Michelin Defender LTX M/S from you and have you put them on. If the ride goes back to normal, you will work it out w/ GM as warranty. If it stays the same, I bought myself way better tires, and you will fix this car so it rides like it should. Either way you get to sell a new set of tires, and potentially make money from warranty work."

If he declines; tell him "thank you very much, I'll go buy tires at Costco/Discount Tire/Sams Club/Your Local Michelin dealer. And start taking my vehicle to <next closest GM dealer> for all other work. Appreciate you much."

Yep, that is a good bet.... You don't want these crappy tires back. Taking your life in your hands in rainstorms......

Jettix2

Reaction score
Hello, I was fortunate to find and purchase my first Yukon XL this month. I absolutely love driving it but I have one concern that I'm hoping others on here might have some insights about. Almost as soon as I took the car on the road (after purchasing) I started hearing a shaking that to me seemed to be 100% wheel imbalance (based on experience with previous cars with the same sound/feel, and that shaking going away after a rebalance). It seems to be of different intensity at different speeds, and it also seems to not occur in the same speed ranges each time I drive.

I took it in for service and the service guy experienced the same shaking/noise and ultimately decided on a full wheel rebalance. They said they took it out for a spin and declared it fixed, but as soon as I got on the road it seemed worse than before.

Other mechanics I've spoken with believe it's probably just the suspension "settling" or "breaking in" and that it should go away eventually. Not much difference if I engage 4H or keep on 2wd, breaking is smooth, sometimes I feel it in the steering wheel, and it seems to be better/worse on left/right curves on the freeway.

Does anyone have a clue if this is normal or if I should check out a different dealer to do my warranty service? The "new car" excitement is getting a little spoiled by this worry, but I can get over it if it's normal or if I can get a better idea what the problem could be.

Thank you!
Our ‘22 was built in June 22 and we bought it in July, the day after it was delivered off the truck. Even with stock garbage Conti tires, it is smooth as silk even at 85+. I’d bet your tires are flat spotted from sitting in Midlotian so long. Have the dealer “test swap” wheels and tires from a different truck on the lot and see if it goes away.

OP
OP
ShotGoat

ShotGoat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just completed my second service and they told me that the first time I was in, two tires tested "red" on the road force balance machine. I was under 500 miles then and supposedly the reason they didn't fix the issue. They gave me new tires now and I FINALLY feel like I have a new car; rides like a dream!

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just completed my second service and they told me that the first time I was in, two tires tested "red" on the road force balance machine. I was under 500 miles then and supposedly the reason they didn't fix the issue. They gave me new tires now and I FINALLY feel like I have a new car; rides like a dream!
Thats great enjoy your new vehicle!

NT Automotive

Reaction score
Congrats!! Sounds like an enough easy fix.

So are you still running the LX20's? If so are they 111T rating? Just curious.

We stuck with the LX20 after last set kept up with previous owner for 5yrs no issues here in desert heat severe driving conditions. So far we are happy with how they ride and also ok with em not being top shelf.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats!! Sounds like an enough easy fix.

So are you still running the LX20's? If so are they 111T rating? Just curious.

We stuck with the LX20 after last set kept up with previous owner for 5yrs no issues here in desert heat severe driving conditions. So far we are happy with how they ride and also ok with em not being top shelf.
Those continental tires are by far the worst tires I've ever had the misfortune of owning (came on the yukon when new) and I couldn't get them off of there fast enough. Yes they were smooth and quiet but the traction was absolutely atrocious in wet conditions. I'd call them downright dangerous. I live in the PNW where it rains all the time and the yukon was scary at times with these tires equipped. Went to nitto ridge grapplers and will never look back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645