Service Tire Monitor, and Discount Tire TP Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can reset them yourself if you plug in the DIC buttons.

I just had one replaced at my local tire place and they are able to scan and program on the spot with no driving.

I brought in a genuine ac delco I bought on amazon since they had a run on them due to some snow falling.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking too,
just going to suck to spend that money to find out they installed a bad sensor, and starting over paying someone else to do the same thing.

Thanks

I just bought the tool off Amazon for about $16.00, best investment I have made. I have custom wheels and tires for the summer here in MI for my Tahoe and the wifes Yukon. After installing the stock wheels back on the vehicles for the winter, it took me about 3 minutes to reset the TPMS sensors. I would just buy the tool and be done with it. I also use Discount tire but have never had any problems, but it's much easier to just do it myself,

OP
OP
M

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It gets better. Last trip they want to hook up to the OBD2. Then three guys are running around looking for a cable. They keep opening different kits, and their cable is missing. 20 minutes later then find something.

Tell me they now have it reading, but I have to drive 28 mph for 15 minutes, not 30 mph, not 35, but 28 mph. I explain how stop signs and traffic lights work, and he gets flustered and said I could stop, but all my driving has to be at 28 mph for 15 minutes or the code comes back. If I didn't know better I'd think they were messing with me.

Go out this morning and tire is completely flat, the valve stem is leaking...

Really busy with a lot of stuff right now, but a good reason why you do stuff your self rather than "just pay the guy"

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Terrible. I hate relying on others for anything on my vehicles. When I had my sensor go out I called around a few places (was out of town) and got quotes from anywhere from $80-200. One place said it was $50 to install, sensor was $80 and setting it up was another $50. Then I asked how much a tire install is and he said $25. Asked if they replace valves and he said yea it’s included in the price....not sure how it’s an extra $25 labor to put in 2 screws after the valve is in lol let alone the $50 for 2 minutes of work with a scanner.

DonM3Z

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
DiscountTire replaced all the sensors on my 2005 Yukon with VDO brand sensors and everything worked when I picked up the truck. Either the staff at the shop doing your work does not know what they’re doing or the sensor is faulty.

OP
OP
M

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made a mistake with the title that was corrected in the post. For what it is worth, it is Just Tires.

I've always had such good luck here. Like I said, they mounted multiple small trailer tires for free, helped with a stripped lug nut, are open late weeknights, Sundays, etc.
(The Discount tires by me has a traffic jam trying to get in to it. Parking is always full, cars circling the place. They recommend parking in the restaurant across the street despite it not being allowed)
Always been a good place but one "manager" can really screw it up.

Started with him on a Sunday and at nights. He did not do well, and he had three techs on my 4th trip at night roaming around the place trying to find their OBD2 connector. Kept opening other boxes and kits looking for stuff.

Finally scheduled time in the day. Told them about the leak and the replacement sensor. Out of there in no time, with them all wondering what happened. They had never heard of having to drive a GM to get a reading, or the certain speeds. Even after I showed him the paperwork, and the "28 mph for 15 minutes" in writing he couldn't believe it. Mentioned it to the other counter guy and techs in the back, they were trying to keep from laughing.

I know why this guy is the night/weekend "manager", but the sad part is how one guy can screw up a good business.
Could change a place from "it's great, I wouldn't go anywhere else" to "I would warn everyone to stay away from here".

It's amazing how one employee could really screw up a guys investment/business.

Thanks

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
They’re called America’s Tire here in SoCal because Discount Tire Center told them No no no, can’t use our name.

They were great for us until one counter mgr got caught trying to pigeon hole me into buying four new tires on our 98 Audi A4 Q. I got the “tire is too worn to patch the nail hole” story and “since it’s AWD adding 1 new tire will ruin your diff.”

Guy seemed shocked I wanted him to measure the tread depth again, and in my presence. He took three try’s to find a spot that was worn past the limit. He had no documentation of what their limit policy was.

I called up to Discount’s Corp office and they told him to apologise and patch the nail hole. The dude literally told me you can’t have your car back because it’s to dangerous to drive AFTER he pulled the tire off the rim.

I asked him if he does that to women a lot. He had no shame and ignored my comment. I would consider going back but he was so pissed he got caught I’d never trust him with any car I owned again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sad but true I have 4 daughters and everyone of them has been ripped off. One went in for an oil change and left $800 later. Told her she needed 2 new tires but put them on back of fwd car then charged for rotation? Then need rear brakes then charged for brake cleaning $89? They all have to call me before they go and when they tell her what’s wrong and cost. I’m sorry some of them treat women that way. Don’t go back.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I had discount tire replace 2 of my sensors when I got the truck, and I left with them both in full working order. They're blowing smoke up your ass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645