Service 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandaman

Reaction score
My 2006 tahoe is getting a service 4WD error and traction control light on the cluster. I has replaced the transfer case recently. After driving 200 miles and using the 4HI a couple times suddenly the light showed up and the 4x4 selector buttons don't light up. Then after switching it off for a bit it started working again. Today I went on a trip but on the way back I got the light again without using the 4x4. I always leave it in 2HI. After leaving it switched off for a while it stared working again. Then after a while the error returned. There are no proper workshops here that is experienced with these vehicles so its a bit hard.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2006 tahoe is getting a service 4WD error and traction control light on the cluster. I has replaced the transfer case recently. After driving 200 miles and using the 4HI a couple times suddenly the light showed up and the 4x4 selector buttons don't light up. Then after switching it off for a bit it started working again. Today I went on a trip but on the way back I got the light again without using the 4x4. I always leave it in 2HI. After leaving it switched off for a while it stared working again. Then after a while the error returned. There are no proper workshops here that is experienced with these vehicles so its a bit hard.
also with this check your harness's, could have worked it's way loose after driving a while, unplug, clean with crc cleaner and then apply some dielectric grease, then plug back in and see how it goes.

OP
OP
Sandaman

Sandaman

Reaction score
How exactly are you "After leaving it switched off for a while it stared working again."? There is no on/off switch for the 2/4wd. You are in either 2wd hi or one of the other modes inlcuding neutral.
I mean once I get the service 4wd I leave the tahoe switched off for a bit. I dont know if it cools down or something but it starts working again. then after a while again service 4wd.

OP
OP
Sandaman

Sandaman

Reaction score
Either of those symptoms will call for a DTC, so you'll need a scanner that can read ABS and the 4wd codes. Otherwise you're in the dark about what's causing the messages.
will connect and check once i get the error again. gone for now.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had this problem it was a failed encoder ring. Easy and fairly inexpensive repair. There are several threads about the “Service 4WD” problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts