Service Tire Monitor, and Discount Tire TP Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get a Service Time Monitor message, and my right rear tire does not read out. I spent more than I want to admit having Just Tires replace the sender.

Sign the paperwork, jump in the car, and run right back in to the office. Light is still on, and tire does not read. States I have to drive 15 miles for it to reset.

300 miles later it is still on, I call in and they say come on in, it needs a "hard reset" (I'm thinking reset might have been all that is needed..)

They finish, and the light is still on. They tell me to drive at least 1 mile for over 5 mph.
I come back after a 3 mile run, and they say "No, 5 mph for 1 mile" You need to idle around for 15 minutes. It is a GM thing and we can't do anything about it.

I actually do that, and of course no change.

It's been tough enough to hold my temper so far,
any suggestions before I go back..? :)

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you driving? The short answer is go to another shop. I’ve never heard of half of what they asked you to do. Once I had to drive mine but they were used sensors the other self programming is letting air out but I think you have a bad sensor.

OP
OP
M

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2014 SSV. This place has always been great in the past, they have always mounted my small trailer tires for no charge.

Trouble is after over paying them last week to fix this, I do not want to throw money somewhere else now.
But yeah, I can't find the "drive until it reads the sensor" type information anywhere.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2014 SSV. This place has always been great in the past, they have always mounted my small trailer tires for no charge.

Trouble is after over paying them last week to fix this, I do not want to throw money somewhere else now.
But yeah, I can't find the "drive until it reads the sensor" type information anywhere.
that's completely ridiculous, it should be synced on the spot before you even drive away, depending on your year it can be done thru the dic (on the spot) or with a cheap tool (on the spot) that any tire shop should have on hand. did they even bother to check the freq rpo in your glove box?
rpo xl7 = 315mhz
rpo xl8 =433mhz

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you go back try to stand where you can hear the programming. There should be a horn honk when activated one on each wheel as it learns and one when they’re done. If you don’t hear at least 5-6 honks it didn’t learn.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And have them sync them away from other vehicles. Being too close to others can inhibit or prevent the sync.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I had new ones put in when I did the NNBS wheels. The sensors for nbs and nnbs are different, so instead of moving mine since they were original to my knowledge, I had them put new ones in. (discount tire). When I got in my truck they all read ——. I went back in and asked. He told me to drive it, it would show up. He was right. They were all reading by the time I made it home. (3 milesish). Been working perfectly since.

OP
OP
M

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm familiar with the frequency differences and staying away from nearby vehicle.

The trouble is as HiHoSilver states above.
They want to send me out the door without it working, saying that it needs to be driven. They can keep saying "this time it will work" and keep getting you out of their shop every time.

Between telling me to drive 25 miles, or 5 mph for over an hour, they basically ensure I won't be back the same night.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm familiar with the frequency differences and staying away from nearby vehicle.

The trouble is as HiHoSilver states above.
They want to send me out the door without it working, saying that it needs to be driven. They can keep saying "this time it will work" and keep getting you out of their shop every time.
well if they cant seem to do it right the little tool is like $19 off amazon and yours to keep forever.

OP
OP
M

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if they cant seem to do it right the little tool is like $19 off amazon and yours to keep forever.

That's what I'm thinking too,
just going to suck to spend that money to find out they installed a bad sensor, and starting over paying someone else to do the same thing.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE