Service Emission System 3.0 Duramax

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doc5339

Reaction score
High output, low fuel consumption, turbo driveability, clean running, all these demands must make for a complicated system. There is some trade off, but these engines are better than ever. The old stuff had problems too.
Yup, great powertrain with more points of failure. Not unlike the Volvo, JLR I4, I6 direct injected, electronically supercharged for low-end, turbo charged, mild hybrids (MHEV); they can be tuned for almost perfect torque and horsepower delivery and excellent efficiency but there's a helluva lot going on.

I love this technology, but I definitely prefer having a port injected V8.

brkoom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 2021 GMC Yukon Denali Diesel. First issue started around 4k miles. The dealership completed the following to resolve the issue:
  • Serial Data Gateway Module Reprogramming with SPS
  • Radio Reprogramming with SPS (Includes USB)
  • EMISSION REDUCTION FLUID TANK RESERVOIR WIRE HARNESS REPLACEMENT
At 6k miles, the issue came back and the dealer replaced:
  • REDUCTANT CONTROL MODULE
At 18k miles the issue is back. I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow to fix that and a leaky sunroof. Anyone else have this issue after everything was replaced? I just assumed it was resolved as it went 12k miles without issue.

OP
OP
GmcJing

GmcJing

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my 2021 GMC Yukon Denali Diesel. First issue started around 4k miles. The dealership completed the following to resolve the issue:
  • Serial Data Gateway Module Reprogramming with SPS
  • Radio Reprogramming with SPS (Includes USB)
  • EMISSION REDUCTION FLUID TANK RESERVOIR WIRE HARNESS REPLACEMENT
At 6k miles, the issue came back and the dealer replaced:
  • REDUCTANT CONTROL MODULE
At 18k miles the issue is back. I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow to fix that and a leaky sunroof. Anyone else have this issue after everything was replaced? I just assumed it was resolved as it went 12k miles without issue.
Sorry to hear this. I have not had another issue on mine since the reprogramming at 11k and I'm at 19k now. I hope your dealer gets it fixed for you tomorrow.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, great powertrain with more points of failure. Not unlike the Volvo, JLR I4, I6 direct injected, electronically supercharged for low-end, turbo charged, mild hybrids (MHEV); they can be tuned for almost perfect torque and horsepower delivery and excellent efficiency but there's a helluva lot going on.
My wife has a 2021 R Dynamic I6 Jaguar that is both Turbo charged and supercharged. If you even breathe on that throttle this thing jumps like a scalded cat. (no pun intended..) I've never drove a smoother, more responsive engine.. Bonus is it will return 30 MPG on the hwy and pulls like a rocket to well past 100... But if you look under that hood.. it looks very complex and uses 15.00 a qt oil and hold 10 qts for an I6. Glad it has a best in class warranty....

RK58

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I picked up my new HC Tahoe 3.0 last Friday I didn't get 20 miles on it until the engine light lit up and I got Emissions system issue thru My Chevrolet app. Right back to the dealer and an hour and a half later they said DPF sensor fault, they cleared it but came back in after 15 miles driving home, a new one is on order. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come as this is my first diesel after 40 + years of V8 Chevys.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up my new HC Tahoe 3.0 last Friday I didn't get 20 miles on it until the engine light lit up and I got Emissions system issue thru My Chevrolet app. Right back to the dealer and an hour and a half later they said DPF sensor fault, they cleared it but came back in after 15 miles driving home, a new one is on order. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come as this is my first diesel after 40 + years of V8 Chevys.
As a baby dmax and an ecoDiesel owner I'm pretty confident stating that modern diesels and reliable don't really mesh well.
But, they do provide killer mileage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal