Seat Recline Modification update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Capitan

Senior Texas Member
Reaction score
I had an issue on this modification which was on the passenger side of my 01 Tahoe LT. The locking nut was enclosed in a plastic cone surrounded by a spring. I did not recieve any responses on my post about this so today I just went in and investigated and thought I'd do a write up. If you have been wanting to do this mod and you've been staring at this on your passenger side this was my solution....

Tools Needed
-Cut off wheel
-Needle Nose Pliers
-Vise Grips
-Aviation Tin Snips
-18mm socket and rachet

Picture001.jpg
The spring and white plastic cone covering the locking nut. I suggest removing the seat belt bolt from the bracket using an 18mm socket and ratchet and move the seat belt out of the way to prevent any damage.
I also suggest removing the door sill trim panel.

Picture005.jpg
Now using the cut off wheel start cutting the spring and using the vise grips to break the coils off as you go, and using the needle nose pliers to pick up the hot pieces of coils.

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg
Now you use your aviation tin snips and your cut off wheel to remove the white plastic cone, which will reveals the threads with the locking nut on it (locking nut not pictured due to me forgeting to take a picture before I cut it off) and using the cut off wheel remove the locking nut.

The seat still works as normal without those two pieces on there I have know idea what they were for because the drivers side did not have them. But now both of my seats recline fully

Picture009.jpg

Hope this helps.

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
That is awesome. I have an 01 Tahoe, and wasn't able to do either side of mine cause it wasn't the same as what others had done. Very cool, think I am gonna give it a go again. It didn't affect anything otherwise? Meaning, any movement, or locking out or anything? Just don't wanna ruin anythng. But man, do i really wanna be able to fully recline. NICE

OP
OP
El Capitan

El Capitan

Senior Texas Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge no that spring does nothing I have had no issues with the function of my seat since I cut it off.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a very cool mod. Might I suggest that you lay down a towel or rag before you cut the spring because if it gets hot enough to where you have to pic them up with pliers, they might be hot enough to burn the carpet.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I forgot about this mod. Is removing the locking nut the only thing you normally have to do for this? I remember seeing this a long time ago, but the details are escaping me. Or just link me to the original how-to....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo