Screen DVD Unlock By-Pass for Front Seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickyD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No matter what I search on here I have only found one thread for unlocking the DVD player to display while in motion. I'm not looking to watch movies while I drive, but my wife would like to see what's playing on the overhead TV mirrored on front dash screen from passenger seat. I remember seeing something about a particular wiring harness that should override this. I don't want to mess up any of the other features and just seeing if anyone else has done this without adding an aftermarket headunit. I have a 2012 Tahoe LTZ with entertainment package.

OP
OP
N

NickyD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
At that price I would put that towards a nice Kenwood... but that is just my opinion.
Is Kenwood the best aftermarket unit? I've always been an Alpine guy. I'm willing to replace the head unit, would really like something that has a blu-ray to go to the overhead screen and doesn't mess with steering controls and such. What's been the best/easiest aftermarket setup you guys have added?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Is Kenwood the best aftermarket unit? I've always been an Alpine guy. I'm willing to replace the head unit, would really like something that has a blu-ray to go to the overhead screen and doesn't mess with steering controls and such. What's been the best/easiest aftermarket setup you guys have added?

Best is a matter of opinion, of course.

I went with the Kenwood because it has built in Garmin GPS and it is a great HU in my opinion.

As for keeping all the factory functionality is concerned, the IDatalink Maestro is the way to go.

If you get an IDatalink compatible HU you get more features from your truck, like hooking into the OBD2 port and being able to check and clear check engine lights, seeing your tire pressures on the screen, being able to look at various gauges on screen, etc.

Lots of cool features and the aftermarket HU will make the factory Bose system sound a lot better as well, especially the factory subwoofer under the center console.

I went with a Kenwood DNX575S and added a Kenwood dash cam and Kenwood multi angle back up camera which is all controlled through the touch screen. My Suburban is an LTZ and the factory navigation was garbage in comparison.

OP
OP
N

NickyD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Best is a matter of opinion, of course.

I went with the Kenwood because it has built in Garmin GPS and it is a great HU in my opinion.

As for keeping all the factory functionality is concerned, the IDatalink Maestro is the way to go.

If you get an IDatalink compatible HU you get more features from your truck, like hooking into the OBD2 port and being able to check and clear check engine lights, seeing your tire pressures on the screen, being able to look at various gauges on screen, etc.

Lots of cool features and the aftermarket HU will make the factory Bose system sound a lot better as well, especially the factory subwoofer under the center console.

I went with a Kenwood DNX575S and added a Kenwood dash cam and Kenwood multi angle back up camera which is all controlled through the touch screen. My Suburban is an LTZ and the factory navigation was garbage in comparison.
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback, do you have an overhead rear tv as well? If so, was that able to still display on there?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the feedback, do you have an overhead rear tv as well? If so, was that able to still display on there?
Yes my truck has the RSE (rear seat entertainment) package, and yes it still works as expected.

When you set up the Maestro unit, using your computer, there will be check boxes for all the options your truck has. You simply check the boxes that apply to your vehicle and then the computer will program the Maestro specifically for your vehicle's options.

LazloZ28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've always been an Alpine guy. Reason I went Kenwood is direct meastro support. Retaining factory features is a feat in these things. Especially with bose/backup cam/steering wheel controls/rse. The newer meastro can Bluetooth to your phone to change settings. You can even change what each steering wheel button does. The rse factory wireless headphones even work with it, but not the 3rd row monitor. I think that's an easy fix but haven't done it yet.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always been an Alpine guy. Reason I went Kenwood is direct meastro support. Retaining factory features is a feat in these things. Especially with bose/backup cam/steering wheel controls/rse. The newer meastro can Bluetooth to your phone to change settings. You can even change what each steering wheel button does. The rse factory wireless headphones even work with it, but not the 3rd row monitor. I think that's an easy fix but haven't done it yet.
to make the 3rd row screen work you have to patch the 2nd row & 3rd row wires together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71