Sad day... Didn't even get to drive her for 5 days without the lifter going...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this lifter issue only affecting 5.3? Or 6.2 as well? Is it primarily a 2021 issue or has it been cleared up on the 2022?

carterchapman

Reaction score
If they have the parts... and with the experience they are getting on doing these... I would think they could turn it around in a day. Its not a lot of work to pop the covers and replace the lifters if you have all the right tools.
I think the heads have to come off to get to the lifters

Enchalay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GM had a huge batch of bad lifters. The dealers are even scrapping the new lifters on the shelf. New stock coming in is very limited. It is a known problem. O have a good friend who bought a new Suburban. 3 lifters down in the first 30 days he owned it.

slowride77

Reaction score
Is this lifter issue only affecting 5.3? Or 6.2 as well? Is it primarily a 2021 issue or has it been cleared up on the 2022?
It’s 6.2 also. A coworker of mine just had this happen to him. 2021 Denali with 8,300 miles. Left him on the side of the highway. Had it towed to the dealer. They told him that there is a TSB for this and if the mileage is less than 8,000 miles then they replace all lifters. If over 8,000 miles, then they only replace the side that was affected. He was 300 miles over and they only replaced his one side of lifters. They did, however, get his truck back to him in 2 days.

He was told they have a known lifter defect that was a machining issue for a batch of lifters that left a burr or rough surface finish and if it affects your truck, it will happen right away. I guess that’s why they choose 8,000 miles for the cutoff?

As soon as he got the truck back, I helped him install a PULSAR LT unit on it. Hopefully that will help in the future.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a Chevy guy since the 60's this is a nightmare to read.
I've only had one Ford in my life but this situation just might put Ford on the list for the next time around.

carterchapman

Reaction score
It certainly cements me to the DuraMax! I'm going to wait for SuperCruise though - looks like another year for me.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s 6.2 also. A coworker of mine just had this happen to him. 2021 Denali with 8,300 miles. Left him on the side of the highway. Had it towed to the dealer. They told him that there is a TSB for this and if the mileage is less than 8,000 miles then they replace all lifters. If over 8,000 miles, then they only replace the side that was affected. He was 300 miles over and they only replaced his one side of lifters. They did, however, get his truck back to him in 2 days.

He was told they have a known lifter defect that was a machining issue for a batch of lifters that left a burr or rough surface finish and if it affects your truck, it will happen right away. I guess that’s why they choose 8,000 miles for the cutoff?

As soon as he got the truck back, I helped him install a PULSAR LT unit on it. Hopefully that will help in the future.
I would love to hear how the Pulsar LT is doing? Does it disable cylinder deactivation?

slowride77

Reaction score
I would love to hear how the Pulsar LT is doing? Does it disable cylinder deactivation?
Yes it does, amongst other things like throttle sensitivity, auto start stop permanent deactivating. Changes the exhaust note at slow speed downshifting because it’s not in cylinder deactivation and doesn’t sound like a helicopter.

PULSAR LT

montegutman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If they have the parts... and with the experience they are getting on doing these... I would think they could turn it around in a day. Its not a lot of work to pop the covers and replace the lifters if you have all the right tools.
Qualifying Statement: Haven't visited this site in a few years nor followed recent GM Engine developments.
Now curious how you access lifters without pulling intake manifold, which is much more extensive, plus removing rocker arm covers for adjustment. Still have my 05 K2500 Yukon w / 6L running Great since new with No major mechanical issues (at 78 years old, still doing All maintenance and repairs myself; but, questionable how much longer). Will likely use it as a final resting place?
SO, QUESTIONING HOW A DEALER/SHOP GOT IT IN AND OUT OVERNIGHT WITH ALL 16 LIFTER REPLACEMENTS??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan