Rusty Rocker Panels DIY FiX!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhulsey779

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as most of you know, these 00-06 Tahoe/ Yukon vehicles are prone to have rust build up on the rocker panels. I couldn't stand the look of it any more and after body shops outrageous estimates, I took my DIY skills and completed the task myself.

First step I did was grind down all the surface rust to bare metal, and then cleaned the surface with "Skyco Ospho" which basically stops any remaining rust and converts it to a hard metal. Let the Ospho sit overnight as recommended and then did a lite sanding. Next I had to use some bondo to fix some some minor holes that formed from the surface rust. The bondo was fast acting and dryed so quick. Again a nice sanding on both rockers and it was coming together real nice. Next day, I prepped the area and then used "Herculiner", basically the truck bed liner that can be rolled or brushed on. Place 2 good coatings onto the whole rocker panel from front to back, and let that sit overnight as well.

Final result, truck looks awesome once again below the doors. No more rust spots and also the road noise is a tad bit quieter now. If anyone else is experiencing the same issues, this would be the best bang for the $$$.

Now I have to decide if the running boards should be re-installed,or just keep them off.

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

Kenyken

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How is your repair holding up. I have some rust bubbles surfacing now.

OP
OP
dhulsey779

dhulsey779

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I started to see the liner become real dull. So recently I've sanded the rear parts of rockers again and then applied POR -15 with 2 thick coats. After that I applied a top coat painted white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emilime75

Reaction score
The problem is that the rust in the rockers typically starts from the inside. Once you see paint bubble, it's pretty severe on the back side and when you start sanding on it you quickly realize the rust is pretty severe and and extends much further than expected. The only real repair is to cut all of the rusted section out and replace with new, or used, rust free metal. Ask me how I know ;(

Also want to add that if you intend to keep your vehicle for a while, get to the repair asap. The longer you wait, the more the rust will spread and once it starts, it can do so rather quickly.

ercbrooks

Reaction score
The problem is that the rust in the rockers typically starts from the inside. Once you see paint bubble, it's pretty severe on the back side and when you start sanding on it you quickly realize the rust is pretty severe and and extends much further than expected. The only real repair is to cut all of the rusted section out and replace with new, or used, rust free metal. Ask me how I know ;(

Also want to add that if you intend to keep your vehicle for a while, get to the repair asap. The longer you wait, the more the rust will spread and once it starts, it can do so rather quickly.
Amen brother. As I said trying to "fix" rockers from the outside is nothing but a bandaid, without cutting it all out you are pissing in the wind.
Why do you think shops charge so much to fix them. (If you get a real cheap estimate you better sell your truck while they look nice!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exceltheink