RPO decoding - '13 Denali SWB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jessalynn87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I very tediously decided to scroll through the RPOs for my truck, I think I got them all right...but I am a little curious about a few things.

A) What do the codes at the top right mean?

B)
  • GVW rating of 7300 lbs – is this towing capacity? Or max load in the cabin of the vehicle?
  • 3.42 gear ratio in rear end – good?
  • Control active brake – any idea what that means?
  • Heavy duty transmission cooling system - ???
  • 160 amp generator – middle of the pack of listed codes – what does this affect?
  • 6 speed auto – HMD, 6L-80 – this is tranny model? Know anything about it?
We have intentions on getting an RV in the next year or two and want to make sure we don't go too big for our vehicle.

RPOs 2.JPG

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
So I very tediously decided to scroll through the RPOs for my truck, I think I got them all right...but I am a little curious about a few things.

B)
  • GVW rating of 7300 lbs – is this towing capacity? Or max load in the cabin of the vehicle?
  • 160 amp generator – middle of the pack of listed codes – what does this affect?
We have intentions on getting an RV in the next year or two and want to make sure we don't go too big for our vehicle.

View attachment 211379

3:42 gear -good?

Depends on your definition of good.

A 3:42 is better for MPG on the highway but will be more sluggish off the line or pulling a trailer.

Not as bad as a 3:08 which gives stellar MPG on the highway but is a dog off the line.

For pulling a trailer a 3:73 or 4:11 is better for getting the rig motivated but won't get as good of mileage on the big road. I'm not 100% sure if the different ratios were available in the Denali since they are AWD.

160 amp alternator is pretty standard on these rigs.

6 speed tranny is the 6L80E. Again standard tranny on the '09+ trucks and also standard on the '07-'08 Escalade and Denali.

The 6.2L is nice for pulling but the long wheel base Yukon XL makes for a better tow rig... IMO

James @swathdiver can help shed more light.

Leo1103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to chevrolet.com and open a chat, tell them you wanna see the build sheet for your truck. They'll obviously ask for the vin # and some other info but will give you each rpo code and what it is.

Reaction score
I've only seen 3.42 axle ratio for the Denali. Guess they figured with the bigger engine and greater torque/horsepower a lower axle ratio isn't as beneficial.

My '01 5.3l has the 3.73 and my '12 Denali has the 3.42 and I prefer to tow with the Denali. I have a 18' tandem axle vehicle trailer that weighs about 1200lbs and regularly tow a 3200lb vehicle on it.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon XL Denali
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've got yourself a good towing rig. An XL would have been better - tow vehicle wheelbase is a big factor that influences sway and stability. The 6.2, 6-speed and 3.42 are a good combination. I have that same powertrain in my pickup.

For your truck, I'd be looking at 22-26' trailers, around 4000 lbs dry weight. Figure you're going to add close to 1000 lbs when loaded up for a trip, and I wouldn't want to go much heavier than 5k lbs.

I would also strongly recommend a sway elimination hitch. Not an anti-sway friction bar, but something that eliminates sway like the Hensley Arrow or ProPride. They're expensive, but definitely effective with short-wheelbase tow vehicles.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

B)

View attachment 211379

Howdy Jessica!

Ok, let's see here...

- The QMBVB5 is the order number.

- TK10706 is your truck's body style. "TK" is for 4x4 or AWD whereas "TC" would be for 2WD. "10706" is the code for the short wheelbase body. A 4x4 Suburban would be a TK10906 and a 2WD 2500 (3/4-Ton) Suburban would be a TC20906. Make sense?

- RPO C6A - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 7,300 pounds. This is the heaviest weight your vehicle can lawfully be. If you take this number and subtract your Gross Cargo Weight from the Tire and Load Information sticker inside the door jamb, you'll have an idea of what your vehicle weighs full of fuel but without passengers. For example, mine is 7,400 pounds and my door jamb sticker says 1,499 pounds. So my truck should weigh 5,901 pounds. I took it to a truck stop once and weighed it; 5900 pounds!

- RPO GU6 - 3.42 Gears are great when combined with the 6-speed transmission. They really help get the load moving, especially when towing. The 2007-2008 models with the 5.3 engine of your truck came with 4-speed transmissions and if set up for towing had 3.73 gears. Their final drive ratio in 1st gear is 11.41:1 whereas yours is 13.77:1. Higher is better for pulling power.

- RPO JL4 is Stabilitrak. You can read up on this in your owner's manual.

- RPO KNP - This means you have a separate, external transmission cooler. If you pop the hood, it's the little radiator in front with hoses coming out the bottom of it. Keep an eye on the lines going to it as they may someday need replacement because of leaking and keep your fluid clean. This extends the life of your transmission and greatly aids in towing.

- RPO KW1 - 160 Amp alternator. Some of the lesser optioned vehicles has a 145 amp. Yours has the big one.

- RPO MYC - 6L80E 6-Speed Transmission. These are a clean sheet design, totally different than transmissions used before them. The steep 1st gear and the two overdrive gears really aid in making these a pleasure to drive even when towing. See post #290 at this link: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/useless-information.97483/page-29

- U 800J - This is another way of stating the paint code. Why I do not know. Yours is White Diamond Tricoat aka 98U.

Hope this is satisfactory and feel free to keep asking questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick