Routine maintenance nightmare (long)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

radkon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I've had the 03 Tahoe since Feb 2008. Put about 50k on since then so it was time for some fluid servicing. This makes every other car I've ever worked on look easy. I was really just looking for 50k interval stuff so here is the list:

Oil (been changing it on schedule)

Coolant (easy, hell they even put a drain on the radiator! ;))

Front Diff (not too bad but finding the right viscosity oil was a little tough)

Transfer case (had to first determine which one of 2 transfer cases I had, they both take different fluid and of course I bought the wrong stuff the first time)

Rear Diff (fairly easy after determining which one of 3 rears I had. They take different fluid and different levels and of course I bought the wrong stuff the first time AGAIN. Oh and my 3.73 rear doesn't have a drain so you have to pull the cover and replace the gasket. Did I mention that there is about 3/4" of clearance between the rear diff cover and the rear swaybar and torsion bar setup )

Auto Trans (should be simple right? Wrong, First off when I got the new filter, the parts guy asked "Shallow pan or deep pan". He had no way of knowing based on VIN, engine or anything else so I bought both and return one later. Upon examining the trans pan I found there is a drain on the pan! Wow what great thinking. Little did I know that the previous mechanic was mighty Joe Young and damn near welded the drain plug on. Really should you need a 250ft/lb impact wrench to remove a drain plug? After a little pneumatic help, I decided to move on. GM in their wisdom routed the exhaust cross over near the back of the pan giving me about 1/2" of clearance. Also they decided the perfect place to put a bracket for the shifter cable would be right over one of the pan bolts. Hmm how to attach the bracket? How about two T-40 bolts hidden and in a place so damn difficult to reach that only a 3 armed, 10 year old, double jointed, Chinese acrobat could reach them. Oh it gets better. After dismissing the acrobat I hired to help me, I decided to bolt the pan back up then put the bracket on. I snugged all 14 bolts (yeah 14 bolts) down before I found out that you can't get the bracket back down to bolt it into position. That's right you have to pull all 14 pan bolts back off pull the bracket down, slide the pan up but don't fasten it then put the bracket back but don't fasten those T-40's yet either because you can't get one of the pan bolts on. So after figuring out a puzzle so complex Einstein would be proud, my Tahoe is now ready for the summer and the next 50k miles. And I'm ready for a liver transplant.)

Last edited:

yukon23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
LMAO I feel you. I too have that drain bolt on my kon's tranny deep pan, and for those exact reasons you just mentioned I have yet to give her the new filter, gasket and fluid thats been sitting on the work bench for 2 weeks........

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
OMG **** that I was going to do mine today and I am ordering a rear Diff cover with a Fill / Drain plug, But You just helped me make my mind up to Pay some one else.

amaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed the transmission oil pan to one without drain plug while rebuilding tranny... just because it sucks

OP
OP
R

radkon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OMG **** that I was going to do mine today and I am ordering a rear Diff cover with a Fill / Drain plug, But You just helped me make my mind up to Pay some one else.

I don't trust folks to do things right or I might have not done it myself. In reality its not that bad. My difficulties were that I didn't know enough about the truck (rear diff, transfer case) to get the right fluids the first time. And avoided the 15 mile round trip back to the autoparts store (3 times). Had I looked up the RPO codes first I would have avoided those trips. The transmission, that thing was just a pain in the ass and there wasn't much way around it.

I changed the transmission oil pan to one without drain plug while rebuilding tranny... just because it sucks

I actually appreciate that there was a drain plug on there, made the whole job a lot less messy but I couldn't believe the monkey who put it back on last time must have used an impact wrench to do it. I was very nervous I was going to either round off the bolt, snap it clean off or destroy the threads getting it out.

Last edited:

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha well mine has the drain bolt. i ended up tearing most of the bolt head off trying to get it off. ended up pulling the front driveshaft, bending some heat shields, cussing, bleeding, pissed off and got the whole pan out. good, now i can move one...wrong. the grommet that hold the filter in place wouldnt come out. took about 1.5 hours to get that out. the about an hour to get the new one on.

ive changed fluid on many 700r4/4l60e transmissions. never again on this one though.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I generally dont do fluids...worth the extra $ to avoid it to me

Is it 2012 yet?
Reaction score
Only a 3 armed, 10 year old, double jointed, Chinese acrobat could reach them.

This line made the post IMO!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metal2forall