Rocket Man's 2008 Bagged CC Silverado Build AKA "THE MACHINE"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished the fuel cell neck upgrade. I can’t believe the shit work somebody did on this. The retainer ring they made for the fuel pump was a joke. The holes were in random locations and it was held on with 5/16” head self- tapping sheet metal screws and half the holes were stripped in the aluminum tank. There was no gasket just a lot of sealant and when I replaced the pump a year or so ago I put it back the same way because I wasn’t prepared for the shit show it turned out to be. At the time, I had to find out why every fuel pump I bought wouldn’t fit, they were all too tall. That’s when I discovered I needed to cut the height down. That was enough of a challenge. But this time I bought a roll of 1/8” thick cork/rubber gasket material and made 2 gaskets- one for between the pump lip and the tank and another for between the ring and that gasket so that part was 1/4” thick. Then I tapped 6mm x 1.0 threads into the aluminum and used stainless socket head bolts that I had laying around. It resulted in a good sandwich effect on the pump and no evap leaks, at least so far. That eliminates any sealant but I do have Permatex Permashield on hand if I need it. It’s amazing I could get gas through that skinny nozzle but it’s easy to see why the pumps would constantly click off at the gas stations. It was so frustrating trying to fuel up. It’s hard to lean over the tailgate and mess with the nozzle over and over. No more. This thing will swallow gas now. I’ll have a bigger cell built someday but this is way better already. The idiots also hacked off the filler nozzle and there was barely enough left over to put a clamp on- it slipped off the hose more than once.

55BE4414-2339-40BB-9B82-1E454ADDABE8.jpeg F5FC2AF4-1B70-4A72-87C3-88FBB09DEA83.jpeg CCD697D9-374C-4C13-9395-E56B0573E8D4.jpeg DE89C450-291F-4EF2-96B1-C3CCE742F96F.jpeg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you cut that mounting plate to match the new filler neck base opening or leave it like it was? Looks real good dude, nice work.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just filled it up, what a difference. Put the nozzle in, click it on, don’t even need to hold on to it anymore. The other one always spit a bit of gas out too just as it finished and clicked off. Not anymore. Yay. It’s the little things.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I just filled it up, what a difference. Put the nozzle in, click it on, don’t even need to hold on to it anymore. The other one always spit a bit of gas out too just as it finished and clicked off. Not anymore. Yay. It’s the little things.
In a world where you lose more than win it is truly the small wins that make the difference.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia