Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, almost forgot, I bought a Corvette servo for the tranny and chickened out on the install and had a local tranny shop install it for $50. That helped when I had the tune installed and had BB remove torque management and tighten up the shifting.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next I started on the suspension. With my 2/4 drop, it was better at cornering and stopping than stock, but I wanted it to stay flatter during high-speed maneuvers and hard braking. I was having some issue with rubbing on the right rear tire when cornering hard, and after reading up on the rear suspension geometry on these trucks, I got to work. First I reversed the rear shock bolts which helped a bit. Then I ordered and installed a Spohn adjustable panhard bar which allowed me to adjust the rear suspension side-to-side. Then came a DJM rear anti-sway bar and rear offset endlinks to keep that bar from hitting the panhard bar mount. I went ahead and bought a DJM front anti-sway bar and Energy Suspension front endlinks at the same time and installed it all. Now it was handling great, flat in the corners and no nose dive when braking hard. I seem to be missing pictures from most of these mods but here's a couple.

IMG_4723.JPG

IMG_4724.JPG

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed some steering play so I took it to a shop and they gave me a list of recommended parts that needed replacing. I decided to rebuild the front end for the most part. I ordered Moog UCA's, lower ball joints, idler arm, idler arm bracket, and tie rod ends, as well as an AC Delco Professional Pitman arm. I was thinking about doing this work myself but since this is my DD I decided to have a shop install it all. What a huge improvement in steering! Sorry no pictures...

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the whole front chrome thing had been bothering me forever but I couldn't find a grill that wasn't chrome for an '02 Denali. I looked into stripping the chrome off a new one but was told by a few chrome shops that wasn't possible. Then I tried it myself by buying a new chrome one off Ebay and trying to strip the chrome off my old one. I succeeded. In ruining my old stock grill. I tried everything that Youtube videos said would work, including a torch, muriatic acisd, and many many chemicals and cleaners. So I talked to my friend who owns a bodyshop and he said he couldn't guarantee how long paint would last. But he did a damn good job,; he sanded the sh*t out of the new one, used a self-etching primer, and sprayed and cleared it. I went with body color for the main part and black for the honeycomb and color matched the GMC emblem. I liked it. But the lights were next since they were all chrome. I ordered some Spyder black with smoke lenses in both corner and headlights, and some Lamin-X film for some new OEM fog lamps.

IMG_4963.JPG

IMG_4966.JPG

IMG_4968.JPG

IMG_4971.JPG

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then I had to color match all the front LED and HID lights which took some guessing and experimenting due to the different colors of the tint/smoke on the lenses.

IMG_4999.JPG

IMG_5020.JPG

IMG_5028.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC