Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It hit Socal last week. On my birthday last week, it was 92 degrees in big bear. It’s very rare that it’s that hot up here... and very rare that big bear is almost as hot as riverside, which is where I grew up, and actually spent my birthday down at my sisters that day, and it was only a couple
Degrees hotter there than big bear. Lol. Riverside that day was 95.... it passed quickly out of socal though... at least up in big bear it passed haha. We ended up with thunderstorms off and on Tuesday and Wednesday.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@pwtr02ss do you have any tips on replacing the solenoids since you’ve done it? I’ll probably tackle this in a few days. I’ll read up on alldatadiy for the procedure but any insight you can provide would be awesome.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@pwtr02ss do you have any tips on replacing the solenoids since you’ve done it? I’ll probably tackle this in a few days. I’ll read up on alldatadiy for the procedure but any insight you can provide would be awesome.
You just take the old ones out and put the new ones in. Put a little trans fluid on the o-ring but it's that simple. Once you pull the pan, you'll see them. They are held in with a metal clip. Just hook it with a pick tool and pull straight down. Unplug the connector and pop it out.

As someone else mentioned, look the harness over as well.

Will button up the 5th rebuild in a day or two. Just lacking valve body. We're going to do some experimenting with modifications on separator plate. I'm far from a pro but have basic knowledge of these transmissions. The downshift thing hasn't been an issue we've dealt with yet. Hopefully the solenoid is the problem. They usually have problems on the up shift

This unit had typical 3/4 failure. We upgraded all typical parts

1F80BD18-6FD2-4F72-8851-5D4E2DE9BC47.jpegD04A1483-07CE-4A8F-A1E5-C9149167E4DA.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just take the old ones out and put the new ones in. Put a little trans fluid on the o-ring but it's that simple. Once you pull the pan, you'll see them. They are held in with a metal clip. Just hook it with a pick tool and pull straight down. Unplug the connector and pop it out.

As someone else mentioned, look the harness over as well.

Will button up the 5th rebuild in a day or two. Just lacking valve body. We're going to do some experimenting with modifications on separator plate. I'm far from a pro but have basic knowledge of these transmissions. The downshift thing hasn't been an issue we've dealt with yet. Hopefully the solenoid is the problem. They usually have problems on the up shift

This unit had typical 3/4 failure. We upgraded all typical parts

View attachment 305719View attachment 305720
What am I looking for in the harness? What keeps the connectors dry? What I find interesting is the 1-2 /3-4 solenoids don’t look waterproof (fluid proof?) at all. Actually the 3-2 doesn’t either.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 3

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What am I looking for in the harness? What keeps the connectors dry? What I find interesting is the 1-2 /3-4 solenoids don’t look waterproof (fluid proof?) at all. Actually the 3-2 doesn’t either.
With the harness, I just do a visual inspection. It's just wiring. Look for obvious signs of deterioration or broken wires/plugs.
The solenoids aren't fluid proof that I can tell. I'm not sure how they work, they just do. I think they are more "pressure" than electronic. That whole system is submerged in fluid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dgjtools