Rim Quality Question...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MonkeyFresh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking to move up from the 17" wheel/tire set up that came stock on my LS to a 20" set up. I'd like to keep it as OEM looking as possible and have settled on wheels that match this GM Part Number (9597195) and the attached photo.

My question about quality is, being that brand new GM wheels are out of my price range, should I go with reconditioned GM wheels or should I consider a replica wheel?

My first choice and front runner is this one so far... LINK

These replicas made by Hollander are a strong second choice as they come with center caps unlike the reconditioned ones above and have never been used... LINK

My concerns, and what I'm on the fence about is...

The replicas might not be as well built as reconditioned OEMs but they come with matching caps.

The reconditioned ones that don't come with caps might not match the caps I get from GM.

And, I'm not sure what all is involved in the reconditioning process or what happened to the wheels before they were reconditioned... How bad were they structurally before reconditioning and what pitfalls come with that?

This is my first experience upgrading rims on a vehicle, and with limited funds, I'd like to get it right, or as close to right the first time as possible.

If anyone has been down this road or has experience (good and/or bad) with either reconditioned or replica wheels, I'd love to hear about it.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

aly5308p_lg.jpg

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you shopped around on eBay or other on line? You can probably beat that price especially if you’re doing wheels and tires. As for quality look at what they’re made of. Reconditioned should come with warranty and from reputable seller. Have you checked wrecking yards for them?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off topic, Mark, how’s the bitchin bagged 08 behaving? That it an incredible truck.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off topic, Mark, how’s the bitchin bagged 08 behaving? That it an incredible truck.
Well...I'm currently working on the front end. The bumper turned into a fiasco due to the HD grill/ hood conversion but since has been sorted out and the fenders needed to be replaced due to some issues which is a lot of work since they're tubbed. I'm almost to the point of being ready for paint but this is how she looks today lol.IMG_8766.JPG

OP
OP
MonkeyFresh

MonkeyFresh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you shopped around on eBay or other on line? You can probably beat that price especially if you’re doing wheels and tires. As for quality look at what they’re made of. Reconditioned should come with warranty and from reputable seller. Have you checked wrecking yards for them?

Started out wanting to hit a wrecking yard but, I'm on the road five days a week and that leads to laundry, honey-do lists, and family oriented stuff on the weekends. Should have a week off coming up at the end of the month, may pull some time out of that for a look-see.

As for the online part... all of my shopping thus far has been online from hotels during the week and appealing with free shipping offers and no tax. :)

(Edit) I did find some on Parts Geek in the $180's.

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can call a local wrecking yard and tell them what you want they’re all connected and get parts from each other. If it’s possible eom is the best. Good luck

14PPVHOE

Reaction score
I bought a decent used 20" set and I'm quite satisfied with the look.
Standard PPV stiff suspension though, and somewhat noisy tires,
but I can live with it. These were $850 CDN off
a 2014 Silverado.........

P7041417 (2).JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
MonkeyFresh

MonkeyFresh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can call a local wrecking yard and tell them what you want they’re all connected and get parts from each other. If it’s possible eom is the best. Good luck

Big Mama, Got a few places lined up for this weekend. :)

I bought a decent used 20" set and I'm quite satisfied with the look.
Standard PPV stiff suspension though, and somewhat noisy tires,
but I can live with it. These were $850 CDN off
a 2014 Silverado.........

View attachment 207068

That's a nice looking PPV there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts