Rim load rating calculation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a rim load rating calculator?

The internet is just about useless, been searching for an hour and cant find this simple information!
Im so fed up. All I get is tire size load rating..

Shopping for rims and I just need to know what load rating rims to shop for.
I dont tow, but I may in the future....
2007 Chevy Tahoe 5.3 4x4

Is it calculated by maximum GVWR? Axle weight?

Any help greatly appreciated

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you're Tahoe's GRAWR (Gross Rear Axle Weight Rating) is or should be 4,100 pounds. So you'd want each of your wheels AND each of your tires to support at least half of that or 2,050 pounds each.

It's good of you to check that out, I once was looking at some nice wheels and saw that they would not match my rear axle's capacity.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This web site says this:
"Wheel load rating requirements are determined by dividing the vehicles heaviest gross axle weight rating by 2."
https://www.tsw.com/explore/wheel-load-rating.php

is this right?

rims im looking at have a loade rating of 2650lbs..
if your towing you will need to use LT(light truck) tires and not P rated tire(passenger)

passanger tires are only 4 ply

LT tires are 4ply(heavy duty)
or 10/12ply

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your towing you will need to use LT(light truck) tires and not P rated tire(passenger)

I think GM would disagree, they sell these things to tow with right off the lot and few are OE equipped with LT tires.

A wise man (or wise ass?) here once told me I weakened my wheels because I removed the cladding that was "structural".

I think he was the latter, plastic adds little to structural strength but looks good for those who like those looks.

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score

passanger tires are only 4 ply

LT tires are 4ply(heavy duty)
or 10/12ply

Going with load range E tires. Thus another reason to make sure the rims were up to *****. Dont wanna put 70lbs tires on some silly dandelion spoked rice rocket wheels...

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it normal for a wheel to have this much cut out of the inside? I've been comparing two companies and this one is different in the fact that it has so much material cut out from the back side compared to the other brand.
fuel.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne