2011 Tahoe Tow Capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MWagoner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know these types of questions get asked regularly but I'm confused and looking for some help. I have searched here, searched the web, researched my VIN, talked to the dealer and a local RV Service shop and I'm just as confused as ever. Each source seems to provide conflicting info. I might have gotten the cart before the horse, recently selling my hybrid camper (3,050 dry weight) in hopes of getting a new to us larger camper. Knowing I would have weight limitations but thinking I could haul up to 8,200 LBS with a weight distribution hitch, although hoping to stay no more than 7,000 LBS.

Here's what I know
2011 Chevy Tahoe Z71 package, aftermarket brake controller

From the door sticker
GVWR - 7,300 LBS
GAWR FRT - 3,600 LBS
GAWR RR - 4,100 LBS
No GCWR listed

From the VIN Lookup Online
GVWR - 7,300 LBS
GCWR - 14,000 LBS
Dead Weight Trailer - 5,000 LBS
WT Dist Hitch - 8,200 LBS
Engine Order code - LMG
Trans Order Code - MYC
Axle Ratio 3.08
Curb Weight - 5,894 LBS
Payload - 1,705 LBS

From the Local Chevy Dealer (appeared to be consulting the Owners Manual) - A review of my owners manual reveals the same info
GCWR - 11,000 LBS
Dead Weight Trailer - 5,200 LBS
Tongue Weight - 600 LBS

When camping I will have my wife, two girls and dog in the Tahoe. We don't carry much else in the Tahoe, most everything goes in the camper. I'm estimating 1,000 LBS of payload in the Tahoe (people, dog, full tank of gas, misc items). So 5,894 LBS (Curb) + 1,000 LBS (payload) - 6,894 LBS total weight.
I know I must include the Tongue weight of the camper as well to get the exact amount but 7,300 LBS (GVWR) - 6,894 LBS = 406 (edited to correct my math) LBS (potential additional weight including camper tongue weight).

Other things I have read is that you can not exceed the GCWR. Mine is 14,000 LBS (although the Owners manual lists 11,000 LBS). If I subtract my estimated loaded GVWR of Tahoe then I have 7,106 LBS for a loaded trailer. Not sure this is correct.

Been looking at campers in the 4,500-5,000 LBS dry weight. We don't carry a lot camping (from our previous camper) but I know that items do add up and having a larger camper means more stuff, right?? But I'm looking to stay at 6,500 LBs loaded when camping. We most always go somewhere where the is water hookups and a dump station so I'm not carrying around that extra weight. On occasion we will fill fresh water upon entry of the campground.

From my research and conversations it seems like I will be over the tow capacity. I will use a weight distribution hitch, but I'm getting conflicting feedback on how much that helps. It will transfer the load and stabilize when towing but seems my 3.08 axle ratio is the limiting factor. If that is the case then why is the towing capacity stated to increase with a weight distribution hitch?

Will it pull it? Yes, Will it stop it? Yes, Will I be comfortable towing 6,500 - 7,000 LBS with this setup? That's my question.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Should I be looking at a 2500 Suburban or a pickup?
Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will it pull it? Yes, Will it stop it? Yes, Will I be comfortable towing 6,500 - 7,000 LBS with this setup? That's my question.
Matt,

Very wise to be seeking advice about this and you're right to include the weight of passengers, fuel and cargo in the camper and rig both as part of your GVW *and* GCVW calculations. You have a lot of legitimate questions in your post but will you be comfortable is the most important one. In my opinion, you won't be comfortable with a trailer that heavy behind your rig - especially with 3.08 gears. I have the long body XL Denali with the 6.2 and 3.42 gears and 6,900 pounds is more than I would want to pull behind it, even though my towing capacity is technically 7,900 lbs.

One thing I'm curious about: why such a discrepancy between your VIN lookup source and your owners manual for the GCWR? What source are you using to lookup the VIN?

The towing capacity increases with a WDH because the trailer and truck together in combination are a dynamic system, and the WDH stabilizes that system enough to raise the towing capacity. While I don't know the precise answer why, it likely has to do with controllability and also how the weight is distributed along the lateral axis of the tow vehicle.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds too heavy with the wife and youngins in it. The 4500-5000 lbs is better. Be careful please.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know these types of questions get asked regularly but I'm confused and looking for some help. I have searched here, searched the web, researched my VIN, talked to the dealer and a local RV Service shop and I'm just as confused as ever. Each source seems to provide conflicting info. I might have gotten the cart before the horse, recently selling my hybrid camper (3,050 dry weight) in hopes of getting a new to us larger camper. Knowing I would have weight limitations but thinking I could haul up to 8,200 LBS with a weight distribution hitch, although hoping to stay no more than 7,000 LBS.

Here's what I know
2011 Chevy Tahoe Z71 package, aftermarket brake controller

From the door sticker
GVWR - 7,300 LBS
GAWR FRT - 3,600 LBS
GAWR RR - 4,100 LBS
No GCWR listed

From the VIN Lookup Online
GVWR - 7,300 LBS
GCWR - 14,000 LBS
Dead Weight Trailer - 5,000 LBS
WT Dist Hitch - 8,200 LBS
Engine Order code - LMG
Trans Order Code - MYC
Axle Ratio 3.08
Curb Weight - 5,894 LBS
Payload - 1,705 LBS

From the Local Chevy Dealer (appeared to be consulting the Owners Manual) - A review of my owners manual reveals the same info
GCWR - 11,000 LBS
Dead Weight Trailer - 5,200 LBS
Tongue Weight - 600 LBS

When camping I will have my wife, two girls and dog in the Tahoe. We don't carry much else in the Tahoe, most everything goes in the camper. I'm estimating 1,000 LBS of payload in the Tahoe (people, dog, full tank of gas, misc items). So 5,894 LBS (Curb) + 1,000 LBS (payload) - 6,894 LBS total weight.
I know I must include the Tongue weight of the camper as well to get the exact amount but 7,300 LBS (GVWR) - 6,894 LBS = 1,406 LBS (potential additional weight including camper tongue weight).

Other things I have read is that you can not exceed the GCWR. Mine is 14,000 LBS (although the Owners manual lists 11,000 LBS). If I subtract my estimated loaded GVWR of Tahoe then I have 7,106 LBS for a loaded trailer. Not sure this is correct.

Been looking at campers in the 4,500-5,000 LBS dry weight. We don't carry a lot camping (from our previous camper) but I know that items do add up and having a larger camper means more stuff, right?? But I'm looking to stay at 6,500 LBs loaded when camping. We most always go somewhere where the is water hookups and a dump station so I'm not carrying around that extra weight. On occasion we will fill fresh water upon entry of the campground.

From my research and conversations it seems like I will be over the tow capacity. I will use a weight distribution hitch, but I'm getting conflicting feedback on how much that helps. It will transfer the load and stabilize when towing but seems my 3.08 axle ratio is the limiting factor. If that is the case then why is the towing capacity stated to increase with a weight distribution hitch?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Should I be looking at a 2500 Suburban or a pickup?
Thanks,
Matt

I am sure I am missing something apparent, but it looks to me like 406 additional pounds not 1406, so most travel trailer tongue weights likely will put you over GVWR. But as I said, I probably am missing something obvious.

FWIW, I pulled a 5000 lb enclosed trailer with my 2007 Yukon, Tekonsha P3 brake controller (actually think it was the predecssor to the P3) and electric brakes on the trailer with no weight distribution hitch and it pulled like a dream.

OP
OP
MWagoner

MWagoner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Matt,

Very wise to be seeking advice about this and you're right to include the weight of passengers, fuel and cargo in the camper and rig both as part of your GVW *and* GCVW calculations. You have a lot of legitimate questions in your post but will you be comfortable is the most important one. In my opinion, you won't be comfortable with a trailer that heavy behind your rig - especially with 3.08 gears. I have the long body XL Denali with the 6.2 and 3.42 gears and 6,900 pounds is more than I would want to pull behind it, even though my towing capacity is technically 7,900 lbs.

One thing I'm curious about: why such a discrepancy between your VIN lookup source and your owners manual for the GCWR? What source are you using to lookup the VIN?

The towing capacity increases with a WDH because the trailer and truck together in combination are a dynamic system, and the WDH stabilizes that system enough to raise the towing capacity. While I don't know the precise answer why, it likely has to do with controllability and also how the weight is distributed along the lateral axis of the tow vehicle.
@Geotrash - thanks for the response. I used this site to look up VIN. I see that it states a max and a min. I grabbed the max, 14,000 but the min is 11,000.
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php?

OP
OP
MWagoner

MWagoner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am sure I am missing something apparent, but it looks to me like 406 additional pounds not 1406, so most travel trailer tongue weights likely will put you over GVWR. But as I said, I probably am missing something obvious.

FWIW, I pulled a 5000 lb enclosed trailer with my 2007 Yukon, Tekonsha P3 brake controller (actually think it was the predecssor to the P3) and electric brakes on the trailer with no weight distribution hitch and it pulled like a dream.
@wsteele - you are correct, embarrassing math on my part. Should have been 406 LBS. which really isn’t much.

OP
OP
MWagoner

MWagoner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As I continue to read and research I become further frustrated with this. Based on the VIN lookup from here https://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php?
I have the 3.08 axle ratio but based on the RPO codes listed on the sticker in my glove box I have GU6 which is 3.42. I also have K5L which has the heavier trans cooler.
Thanks for the insight.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I continue to read and research I become further frustrated with this. Based on the VIN lookup from here https://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php?
I have the 3.08 axle ratio but based on the RPO codes listed on the sticker in my glove box I have GU6 which is 3.42. I also have K5L which has the heavier trans cooler.
Thanks for the insight.

I too have the trans cooler and also tow mode for shift points, etc. My rear axle is 3.73, which I assume came with the tow package, but as I posted, it towed 5000 lb dual axle enclosed trailer like a dream. My cabin payload was always less than yours when towing the trailer (nobody in the family wanted to go watch me race :)), so my 600+ lb tongue weight (I also have Autoride) was never an issue.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Jack up a tire and turn the wheel while counting driveshaft revolutions and you’ll know your axle ratio for sure.

11k combined is for 3.08 or 3.42 without HD cooling.
14k requires 3.42 and HD cooling.

The trans cooler is also easy to see up front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal