Towing travel trailer with 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LS1itldo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In March we sold our 34ft 10k travel trailer and 2017 F250 crew cab diesel. My wife caught the camping bug again and we started looking for trailers we could pull with her 2018 Yukon. I wanted to stay around 5k dry and GVWR around 7k. Her Yukon is the "inferior" model with 3.08 rear end and measly 6000lb towing rating. After a lot of research and reading through some good threads on here I found there are only 3 differences between the HD trailering package that has a 8000lb tow rating vs the normal towing package.
  1. 3.08 vs 3.42 rear end
  2. Integrated brake controller
  3. Increased capacity, air leveler, suspension package
Most salesmen will tell you it also includes additional coolers for transmission and oil but that is outdated information, this was true on the older models but is not the case for 2018, and I suspect any Yukon 2015+.

We ended up finding a camper we really liked, 2016 Coleman 262BH, that is 5800lbs dry and has a GVWR of 7700lbs. From the horror stories on the internet, it appears most people who attempt to pull trailers in this range apparently just hook up and go, then they come back and say it was a horrible towing experience, lots of sway, etc.

I added a proportional brake controller, load leveling air bags to the rear, an equalizer 4 point weight distribution hitch, and upgraded the crappy passenger eco tires to LT load range E tires. We took the camper on a trip last weekend and I was honestly impressed with how it towed with 6th gear locked out. The camper is riding a little nose high for my liking, a bigger drop shank is on it's way this week. Transmission temp never exceeded 197 degrees while towing and we averaged ~9 mpg. Only 20 lbs in the air bags and 65 psi in the tires. I stopped at a CAT weigh station and my numbers are below with the WDH engaged. We were fully loaded with all camping gear, my entire family of 5 and a full tank of fuel.

Steer Axle 2860 lb
Drive Axle 4220 lb
Trailer Axle 6240 lb
Total Weight 13320 lb

We weighed in three different configurations which resulted in a loaded camper weight of 6920 and truck only was 6400, 800 lbs of tongue weight.

Living in north Houston we only travel 3 or 4 hours to different campsites, I am sure if I was in the mountains or traveling cross country I would be searching for a 3/4 ton diesel again. However, I am happy with how it towed and wanted to give my feedback to other members. Get good LT tires, a decent WDH, keep the speed below 65 or so and happy towing.
yukon8_8.jpg

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which brake controller did you purchase. I also plan on towing with our 2015 Tahoe. I've used a prodigy p2 controller in the past. I know tekonsha now offers a p3.

Curt also offers a flush mount unit that gives it a factory installed look. Just curious about your setup and opinion.

Nick

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In March we sold our 34ft 10k travel trailer and 2017 F250 crew cab diesel. My wife caught the camping bug again and we started looking for trailers we could pull with her 2018 Yukon. I wanted to stay around 5k dry and GVWR around 7k. Her Yukon is the "inferior" model with 3.08 rear end and measly 6000lb towing rating. After a lot of research and reading through some good threads on here I found there are only 3 differences between the HD trailering package that has a 8000lb tow rating vs the normal towing package.
  1. 3.08 vs 3.42 rear end
Most salesmen will tell you it also includes additional coolers for transmission and oil but that is outdated information, this was true on the older models but is not the case for 2018, and I suspect any Yukon 2015+.

We ended up finding a camper we really liked, 2016 Coleman 262BH, that is 5800lbs dry and has a GVWR of 7700lbs. From the horror stories on the internet, it appears most people who attempt to pull trailers in this range apparently just hook up and go, then they come back and say it was a horrible towing experience, lots of sway, etc.

I added a proportional brake controller, load leveling air bags to the rear, an equalizer 4 point weight distribution hitch, and upgraded the crappy passenger eco tires to LT load range E tires. We took the camper on a trip last weekend and I was honestly impressed with how it towed with 6th gear locked out. The camper is riding a little nose high for my liking, a bigger drop shank is on it's way this week. Transmission temp never exceeded 197 degrees while towing and we averaged ~9 mpg. Only 20 lbs in the air bags and 65 psi in the tires. I stopped at a CAT weigh station and my numbers are below with the WDH engaged. We were fully loaded with all camping gear, my entire family of 5 and a full tank of fuel.

Steer Axle 2860 lb
Drive Axle 4220 lb
Trailer Axle 6240 lb
Total Weight 13320 lb

We weighed in three different configurations which resulted in a loaded camper weight of 6920 and truck only was 6400, 800 lbs of tongue weight.

Living in north Houston we only travel 3 or 4 hours to different campsites, I am sure if I was in the mountains or traveling cross country I would be searching for a 3/4 ton diesel again. However, I am happy with how it towed and wanted to give my feedback to other members. Get good LT tires, a decent WDH, keep the speed below 65 or so and happy towing.
View attachment 254704

That's awesome Cory! Even though the Truck is level hooked up, I think you could transfer more weight off the rear axle to the others by adjusting the bars, maybe.

My truck's steer axle with the truck empty is 3040 pounds. My drive axle is rated for 4200 and I think yours might be 200 pounds more, not sure.

Ron Mills

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Which brake controller did you purchase. I also plan on towing with our 2015 Tahoe. I've used a prodigy p2 controller in the past. I know tekonsha now offers a p3.

Curt also offers a flush mount unit that gives it a factory installed look. Just curious about your setup and opinion.

Nick

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I've been using Tekonsha since the 80's... no issues

curtis ronci

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
fyi guys I got some really cool cheap pull out tow mirrors for my 2011 [I know shes old] and they are awesome.Amazon like 165.00

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
  1. 3.08 vs 3.42 rear end

Steer Axle 2860 lb
Drive Axle 4220 lb
Trailer Axle 6240 lb
Total Weight 13320 lb

View attachment 254704
Still towing the Coleman around?

Beeker702

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2015 LTZ Tahoe it doesn’t have max towing but the integrated controller is in my Tahoe but doesn’t work. I looked at all the fuses and looked to see if it was plugged in and it was. Can I switch out the brake control module with one that came out of a Tahoe that had max towing package? Has to be a way of using the factory brake controller. Window sticker says I have the 3.08 gears

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gudmat