Replicating NorcalSS Drop Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

I finally had an opportunity to get a drop kit for my Denali (Z55 suspension, which I want to keep), only to find out NorcalSS is out of business. I'm trying to replicate his 2/3-4 drop kit:

Belltech kit 739, which includes:
- Front spindles: Belltech 2509
- Rear springs: Belltech 23323
Rear shock relocation kit: Belltech 6651 <- EDIT: not needed if using the DJM kit below
DJM rear hardware kit: RK2007 <- EDIT: includes shock relocation brackets, LCA relocation brackets and offset sway bar links

Three questions remain:
1: The Belltech kit photos show what appears to be new bumpstops. Can anyone with experience confirm this? If not, where do I source those?
2: What about the Z55 ride height sensor rods? I can make replacements from threaded rod. But I haven't found where anyone has documented the thread size needed (aside from one thread where someone said 1/8", which isn't a screw size, lol). Does anyone know? I'm thinking #10-24, or M5x0.8?
3: One YT video I watched also showed offset rear swaybar links. Are these really needed? I don't see them in photos of his kit.

If it matters, I plan to do the free travel mod. I also plan to upgrade to Hellwig swaybars at some point.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you hear that NorcalSS was out of business?

As for the offset rear stabilizer bar, yes it is needed if going over 3 inchs drop for the rear.

OP
OP
the_tool_man

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you hear that NorcalSS was out of business?

As for the offset rear stabilizer bar, yes it is needed if going over 3 inchs drop for the rear.
His website doesn't have a functioning payment system. When I asked around, I was told he'd been hacked. I did some checking and found he hasn't been on here since April. I texted him, IM'd him, and reached out to him on Twitter a week ago. Nothing. So whether he's officially out of business or not, he effectively is.

Thanks for the other info.

OP
OP
the_tool_man

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I found DJM makes the offset sway bar links. They also have a drop kit that includes shock relocation brackets and LCA relocation brackets. The full kit is recommended even for just a 3" drop. So it might make sense to order that kit and not the Belltech shock relocation brackets.

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you need to check him on instagram

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only researched the drop kit a bit, than sold the Esky..

What I can tell you, if you do the drop spindles, which I do recommend, make sure you have 19" rims or larger. 17" and most 18" rims dont clear the ball joint.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I found DJM makes the offset sway bar links. They also have a drop kit that includes shock relocation brackets and LCA relocation brackets. The full kit is recommended even for just a 3" drop. So it might make sense to order that kit and not the Belltech shock relocation brackets.

Yes. The Belltech shock relocators will not work with the DJM LCA relocators. Getting the whole kit is best. DJM is also the only manufacturer of the offset sway bar links.

The rest is standard Belltech parts, available everywhere online.

You have lots of options for low-profile bump stops for the rear. I've been dropped over two years and still haven't installed bump stops. I've towed trailers and cars and have never bottomed out. Definitely do the free travel mod. Look at universal bumps stops such as Energy Suspension #9.9132G. The "G" is for the color (graphite), replace it with "R" if you want red. The rearmost ear at the top of the panhard bracket on the axle (driver side) will hit the cross member before the axle bottoms on the frame. I run Air Lift bags with 8-10 psi when not towing. They're about as firm as stock, maybe slightly firmer. Without the air, it's a bit too cushy for my style of driving.

I bought 6" pieces of stainless 10-24 allthread to make my link rods:

The plastic ends aren't threaded. Actually, they're splined. The 10-24 threaded rod screws into the plastic and makes its own threads. It's very secure. The key to maintaining factory function is to put the sensors right back where they were when the vehicle was at stock height. So, mark the sensors accurately BEFORE you drop it. I used a silver Sharpie to make alignment marks, then used my razor knife to scratch a line in the center of that silver mark for razor sharp (literally) accuracy and better visibility.

Last edited:
OP
OP
the_tool_man

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. The Belltech shock relocators will not work with the DJM LCA relocators. Getting the whole kit is best. DJM is also the only manufacturer of the offset sway bar links.

The rest is standard Belltech parts, available everywhere online.

You have lots of options for low-profile bump stops for the rear. I've been dropped over two years and still haven't installed bump stops. I've towed trailers and cars and have never bottomed out. Definitely do the free travel mod. Look at universal bumps stops such as Energy Suspension #9.9132G. The "G" is for the color (graphite), replace it with "R" if you want red. The rearmost ear at the top of the panhard bracket on the axle (driver side) will hit the cross member before the axle bottoms on the frame. I run Air Lift bags with 8-10 psi when not towing. They're about as firm as stock, maybe slightly firmer. Without the air, it's a bit too cushy for my style of driving.

I bought 6" pieces of stainless 10-24 allthread to make my link rods:

The plastic ends aren't threaded. Actually, they're splined. The 10-24 threaded rod screws into the plastic and makes its own threads. It's very secure. The key to maintaining factory function is to put the sensors right back where they were when the vehicle was at stock height. So, mark the sensors accurately BEFORE you drop it. I used a silver Sharpie to make alignment marks, then used my razor knife to scratch a line in the center of that silver mark for razor sharp (literally) accuracy and better visibility.
Thank you for all the info. This is exactly the type of experience-based feedback I was looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal