Replacing sunroof seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have to replace sunroof glass seal.
I have the seal, OEM GM product.
I know how to remove the glass.
Question is - exactly how do I reinstall the new seal? Is it glued on? It does not look like something that will crimp on by itself or, seal tight just from tension.
Also, I start seeing some horror stories about secondary seal embedded into the glass and preventing the new seal from sealing tight.
Any recommendations? Job planned for tomorrow, don't want to get cought with unsealed sunroof, it's back to daily rains here.
Thank you

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question is - exactly how do I reinstall the new seal? Is it glued on? It does not look like something that will crimp on by itself or, seal tight just from tension.
Also, I start seeing some horror stories about secondary seal embedded into the glass and preventing the new seal from sealing tight.
Any recommendations? Job planned for tomorrow, don't want to get cought with unsealed sunroof, it's back to daily rains here.
Thank you
The old seal should pull off rather easily. It should not be glued on.

It is designed to pinch the glass. Use some spray silicone to help it slide into the glass.

I had to replace it on my 2008 Yukon.

When you put the glass. Back in, make sure the front edge is flush or slightly below the roof line and the rear is flush or slightly above the roof line. I let the new seal center the glass in the opening.

OP
OP
U

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I was driving about 2 weeks ago, in rain, took turn and found water dripping down onto my right thigh. From the map lights cover. Looked at the sunroof at home, and about 5 inches of the glass seal were pealed off the glass, on the edge, in the rear. Tilted sunroof and found that seal, in that area, completely came off the glass.
Just for clarification, all drains are clean, I checked.
Thank you, wjburken. So it's just tension seal....
I'll remove the glass completely, says to simply undo 2 bolts and take it out. Should be much easier to do it on the table, than on the car.
I'll report back how it went.

OP
OP
U

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, here we go:
1. tilt sunroof ajar
2. you will see 2 accordion like dust dams on either side of the opening. Pull them off. Very easy. grab on the side, pull.
3. this will expose 2 per side #25 Torx glass mounting screws.
20221029_125505.jpg
Don't repeat my mistake, Have silver marker handy and mark brackets on the guides positions. This will save you undoing screws several time slater, for glass alignment
4. Remove screws, making sure you do not drop them into the sunroof frame. Pull glass out. Not heavy. Tahoe hood makes excellent work table for the project
20221029_130250.jpg

5. Rear of the glass is where the markings are. Also, just in case, glass has 2 plastic "combs" on each side, taller end is towards the rear:

20221029_130657.jpg

6. Remove the old seal. Pulls off very easy. Scrape and dirt/sealant/etc with blade off the seal mating edge.

20221029_131048.jpg

8. OK, so there is a composite seal in the glass. If it's torn torn, tough shit, you have to replace entire glass. Otherwise, clean sealing channel in that seal thouroughly. I used denatured alcohol, rag and toothbrush. You can see, how much dirt comes out

20221029_131537.jpg

OK, I can attach only 5 files, so I'll start another thread and then repost it here.

OP
OP
U

ukrkoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score

jared999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you for the diy

Step 6. I don't understand what it is that you are scraping off.

Edit. I just replaced mine. There should be nothing to scrape off. If there is, then someone put some glue or seal on there and already did a repair on it.

Last edited:

moparRnocer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you
Where did you find a new seal? Ive been looking everywhere for one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt