Replacement front axle question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith Oelzen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2008 Tahoe 5.3L 700r4 4 wheel drive

I just received 2 front axles (Cardone 66-1430) from Rockauto.com.
Upon opening them, they both have a round cover plate that looks like it's supposed to be pressed into the cast flange at the inboard CV joint housing.
Both are just loose in the shipping bag, and the greased CV joint is exposed.
Is this normal?
I've not done this before, but it doesn't seem right to me.
The axles I removed have these plates pressed well into the cast flange.
Do I press the cover plates in myself somehow, or return them as defective?
Thanks Guys.

Attachments

• CV1.jpg
    CV1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 17
  • CV2.jpg
    CV2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 18

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and please post pics so I can be sure of what you are saying. I think I do but want to be sure.

OP
OP
K

Keith Oelzen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and please post pics so I can be sure of what you are saying. I think I do but want to be sure.
Just added 2 pics to the initial post.
Both axles just have this stamped cover plate loose in the bag.
Seems like a manufacturing step got skipped to Me....?
But again, I haven't replaced these before.
Seems like these should be pressed in and sealed, or grease would just sling out behind the flange.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, are these stamped plate supposed to be pressed in?
Should I return them, or will they press in readily?
Again, I'm pretty handy but haven't replaced these before.
In all my years I never saw a CV opened up like that. Didn't even know those caps were there. Always thought that was a completely solid and machined surface and everything got assembled from the boot end.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In all my years I never saw a CV opened up like that. Didn't even know those caps were there. Always thought that was a completely solid and machined surface and everything got assembled from the boot end.
Same here. I just replaced mine on the avalanche and they weren't like that. I bought mine from advance auto because I read mixed reviews on the aftermarket. Figured it'd be easier to trade them at the parts store rather than shipping them back if I had a problem

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would not use those at all. Those plates should be pressed in. Take the plates, if you have the axles out already, and I bet they fit in the little dish out area of the stub axles sticking out for cv axle attachment. I only buy Genuine GM parts at RA. This is the quality you get when you use aftermarket parts. I know these are more expensive but they are correct and quality:https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3980415&cc=1441040&pt=2288&jsn=989

If you look at pic #3 at RA of your axles you can barely see the dome of those plates in the pic. But instead they sent to you to do. If you want to use them because of the price, I would not be afraid to tap them in but if you lack the mechanical ability, take to a shop for them to do it. Good luck.

OP
OP
K

Keith Oelzen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Everything else about the parts looks to be of good quality.
I have a 12T press, and can manage an adequate die.
I'll just press them myself, clean and run some sealer at the seam.

I saw the Delco's, but at 5X the cost I'm not expecting to find 5X the quality.
Those are likely rebranded as well...Delco does way more liscensing than manufacturing.

There was nothing really wrong with the originals.
I'm rebuilding the entire front suspension, and at 160k replacing these just seemed to be prudent PM.
Just one more step, I'll push on.
Thanks Guys.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnybalo