1999 Yukon/Front Axle Bind

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVYUKON

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1999 GMC Yukon SLT 4x4

I have a pulsating feel to the truck at low speed when stopping. Not felt in the brake pedal just a surging feeling when slowing down. So I decided to replace both pads and rotors.

During the process I noticed that turning the axle by hand it would spin freely and then drag and then spin freely and then drag. This happens with steering wheel centered or turned.
Is this an indication of bind in the CV joints (a usual thing?) or is it indicative of failing CV Joint/Axles?

Or.. worst cast a front differential issue?

Thoughts?

- SVYUKON

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You did not state what happened after the pads and rotors replacement. Your symptoms sounded just like a brake pulse. when you were spinning the axles, during the brakes replacement, did you check on both sides or one side?

OP
OP
S

SVYUKON

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You did not state what happened after the pads and rotors replacement. Your symptoms sounded just like a brake pulse. when you were spinning the axles, during the brakes replacement, did you check on both sides or one side?
Thanks for the response. Just finished the brakes today and did the pad bedding procedure. I've not had a chance to drive it "normally" yet. However on the pad bedding trip I did not notice any pulse or surge. The axle "bind" that I described happens on either side tho it is much stiffer on the driver's side. When I was examining this I had the calipers and rotors off the truck.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doss the truck have a lift kit? What you are describing sounds like an axle joint that doesn't like the angle its at. Also, when in neutral with the front tires off the ground, does the front driveshaft spin freely by hand?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, so in all likelihood, the pulsing was the brakes and you can have that and not feel the pulsing in the brake pedal, unless you are at highway speeds, like when you take an exit ramp. The binding you are feeling is likely a spot on a seal surface, a tight spot on the wheel bearing or a tight spot on the gear lash. Who knows. I would drive it and keep an eye on it. Could even be what @B-train was mentioning.

OP
OP
S

SVYUKON

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will have to check the Drive Shaft. Both wheels were off the ground doing the brakes. I was turning the hub/ CV Shafts and finding the bind. The Driveshaft was not moving during that operation. The previous owner lifted the truck, 2" block on the rear axle and adjusted the Torsion Arms for the front.

OP
OP
S

SVYUKON

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, so in all likelihood, the pulsing was the brakes and you can have that and not feel the pulsing in the brake pedal, unless you are at highway speeds, like when you take an exit ramp. The binding you are feeling is likely a spot on a seal surface, a tight spot on the wheel bearing or a tight spot on the gear lash. Who knows. I would drive it and keep an eye on it. Could even be what @B-train was mentioning.
Thanks! Ill keep an eye on it. Truck only has about 50k miles.