Removing Torsion Keys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of reasons why the tool is better than a C-clamp:

A) It was designed for the job. There is a LOT of spring tension in the torsion bars - the tool was engineered to hold that pressure in check while you unload the bars.

B) More gripping surface area on the cross member. The tool hooks onto BOTH sides of the crossmember, giving you a more sturdy setup to work off of. The likelyhood of it slipping off is pretty low.

If you're using a C-clamp and it either fractures or slips off the crossmember, all of that tension will unload somewhere. More than likely into your hand or arm. At the very least it would severely **** up whatever tools are attached to the bolt when it goes.

Plenty of guys get away with doing it with C-clamps, but I'd rather use the right tools for the job and minimize the chances of getting hurt.

Look at Ty...I hate using my dude as an example, but he shattered his arm simply due to the fact that he was rushing and not using the proper safety stuff when he was changing his rear springs out.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha I know man, I just had to use him as an example because it happened recently.

But thats what happens when you rush shit and don't take safety measures...and drink lots of beer before lifting the ass end of a 6500 pound truck, heh.

Ty, I still love you man. :hands:

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha I know man, I just had to use him as an example because it happened recently.

But thats what happens when you rush shit and don't take safety measures...and drink lots of beer before lifting the ass end of a 6500 pound truck, heh.

Ty, I still love you man. :hands:

Hey - he lived to tell. Let him be an example to others, you know damn well he will now run around and start telling people to do things the right way and not take short cuts.

B

OP
OP
BlizzardX23

BlizzardX23

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im sorry, Im just not understanding how the tool is used...is there a writeup somewhere with pics to show where this tool is put to unload the pressure?

btw..here on post, we have whats called "The Autocraft Center"

it a huge garage...like 7 or 8 bays on one side, and 7 or 8 on the other...with just about every tool known to man kind...one whole side has brand new hydraulic lifts...each bay comes with a complete roll away tool box...we have cherry pickers, engine stands, transmission stands...a complete sealed and ventilated paint booth...a sand blasting room, a place to do port and polish..welding..umm...anything and everything!

so Im renting a bay for $5 an hour (with the hydr. lift) and I'll do it there...just wondering if someone has any detailed instructions I can follow while Im there

:)

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey - he lived to tell. Let him be an example to others, you know damn well he will now run around and start telling people to do things the right way and not take short cuts.

B

Amen man. I'm really glad he wasn't hurt worse - I'm sure we all are. That was a wicked break though.

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Im sorry, Im just not understanding how the tool is used...is there a writeup somewhere with pics to show where this tool is put to unload the pressure?

btw..here on post, we have whats called "The Autocraft Center"

it a huge garage...like 7 or 8 bays on one side, and 7 or 8 on the other...with just about every tool known to man kind...one whole side has brand new hydraulic lifts...each bay comes with a complete roll away tool box...we have cherry pickers, engine stands, transmission stands...a complete sealed and ventilated paint booth...a sand blasting room, a place to do port and polish..welding..umm...anything and everything!

so Im renting a bay for $5 an hour (with the hydr. lift) and I'll do it there...just wondering if someone has any detailed instructions I can follow while Im there

:)

Ask and you shall recieve:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums...keys-torsion-bar-cranking-replacing-tech.html

Look at the 7th picture down, and you'll see how the puller hooks up to the crossmember. With the puller, you've got it hooked up to BOTH sides of the frame, as opposed to a C-clamp where the flat part of the jaw just rests on top of it. The puller is a much more secure way of doing it.

That article is geared toward the lifting crowd, but the procedures for removing and installing the keys is pretty much identical.

By the way, that is a badass setup you have on post, I wish I had access to something like that. Is it just for you auto guys, or can anyone rent a booth?

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem bro, it's a pretty good write up.

Man that is awesome...I'm reenlisting soon, so they better build something like that out at Buckley! (not gonna happen lol)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667