removing lowered suspension help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xFuZzYx

IASCA Car Audio World Champion
Reaction score
I put this in street suspension instead of lifted because it currently has street suspension...

So I have a 2002 Tahoe LT 4WD and when I bought the truck it had a lowered suspension and 26" rims already on it. Well after having those rims for over 1.5 years I grew tired of them and I'm about to change up my truck completely. I'm about to have a 6" rough country suspension lift installed and I'm going to put my truck on 35's. This will be my first time ever getting suspension work done myself so I had a few questions.

1.) What are the usual methods that people drop nbs 4wd Tahoe suspensions? What do the suspension drops normally consist of?

2.) Sense I want to put the lift kit onto my truck do I need to un do the lowered suspension and set it back to stock ride height first? Or when they install the lift will every part that caused the truck to be lowered get replaced with brand new parts in the kit? Because I currently don't know how much my truck is lowered but if the back was lowered 4" I do not want to have the 6" lift installed and it only be 2" above stock suspension height lol.

3.) How could I possibly find out how much my truck is currently lowered? What things do I need to look for and take pictures of? I bought the truck off of someone on craigslist and I no longer have any way to get in touch with him so I have no way to ask him.

4.) Once the suspension drop is taken out is it something I could salvage and 're sell to someone else?

5.) If a standard drop kit was used what all parts of the stock suspension were replaced to have the drop installed? Were any of the stock suspension pieces modified that would now have to be replaced before the truck could be back to a stock suspension or have the lift installed?

6.) Same question as #5 but what about if any other methods were used to lower the truck (and what might those other methods be?)

7.) If all of the parts that were used to lower the suspension are getting replaced with brand new parts in the lift kit would there be any need to get my local shop to get my truck back to stock suspension height before the lift gets installed? (If possible sense I dont have any parts that may have gotten removed with the parts needed to drop it before I bought it)

8.) If the drop isn't removed before I take the truck to have the lift installed and all of the parts that lowered the truck are getting replaced, if my truck had a 4" suspension drop and then the 6" lift is installed there will then be a total of a 10" difference in suspension height even though I skipped getting it back to stock height beforehand?

Side question: if looking at my truck from behind, the left seems to lean closer to the ground than the right side making me think that apart of my current suspension is worn out and sagging, you can only see it from the rear and not the front and it's not even major but just enough to notice, but would just the shock (which is getting replaced with the lift) be the culprit or what else might be causing the problem?

***if anyone needs pics of anything to help them answer any of these questions feel free to ask and I will go and get you those pics as soon as I can.***

Thank you so much for any help anyone can provide!

---------- Post added at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 AM ----------

Damnit my first post was in the wrong section lol, my bad, can someone please move it to the 2000-2006 street suspension section? I thought I had scrolled down another section but I now realised I hadn't. Once again, my bad on that and if someone could move it asap that would be great!

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
post a picture of the truck. look at the front spindles. original GM or is there a brand name like belltech or mcgaughy? are the front control arms original?

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
shoot pictures of rear shocks/suspension

front spindles

Moose912

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get as many details as you can. Sell it on here. Depending on what you have id be interested.

OP
OP
xFuZzYx

xFuZzYx

Reaction score
come to find out in the front the torsion keys/bars/whatever were just bottomed out as far as they couldgo and idk what he had done to the back but the lift is fully installed now, thanks for y'all who tried to help even though I wasnt much help after posting this thread lol.

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have a before pic while it was still lowered? still have the rear parts? pics of them?

OP
OP
xFuZzYx

xFuZzYx

Reaction score
1509985_10202499850171369_4283021645587323973_n.jpg

heres a pic and the truck sagged lower on the left side meaning the suspension was worn out so i threw it away, my bad.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
1509985_10202499850171369_4283021645587323973_n.jpg

heres a pic and the truck sagged lower on the left side meaning the suspension was worn out so i threw it away, my bad.

no this is normal. they lean to driers side because gas tank is there. also drivers side lean is normal in front. this is why you adjust keys to get it to sit even. nothing new there

OP
OP
xFuZzYx

xFuZzYx

Reaction score
Everything that the shop gave me back after my lift was installed lol I had a bad habit of hording so now I try to do the exact opposite by throwing away everything im not using anymore...