Reeee Dooooo!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ryan Buck

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found the problem with the paint not drying. Has something to do with washing plastic with Dawn dish soap! There's something in it that messes it up. Use tied powder laundry soap instead. No problems ps do NOT get dawn in your eye! I put the sponge to close to the pump on my kitchen sink and it ricocheted a stream right into my left eye not a little bit a full-blown stream. Being how I am already blind in my right eye when that soap hit me in the left eye I couldn't see shit for probably a day and a half. 3 days after when I would wake up it was like having pink eye all crusty and just full of pus and nasty shit. So yeah watch out for that Dawn LOL that's one bad *****!

OP
OP
Ryan Buck

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got tired of all this wind messing things up so I couldn't paint so I had to improvise and make my own paint booth out of the garage. It worked good and then kept all the dirt and other crap from landing on the paint.

20180806_195353.jpg 20180806_201429.jpg

OP
OP
Ryan Buck

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This week I was able to paint all the lower dash and consloe pieces. I used Flattner in my clear to give it a semi gloss finish but it disnt work very well and I think it's to shiny but wasnt about to go thru all that again to put more clear on the parts. Didnt want to spend anymore on paint supplies either. I have probably spent well over 600 on just paint and prep materials for this project. Did a pretty good job painting and it all came out perfect with no runs. Not bad for buying a husky paint gun off offer up for 10 bucks brand new in the box lol. It's been probably 15 years since I last used a real paint gun but I knocked it out! I put the dash all back together and the in the truck along with the whole console and all 4 seats. Now just have to finish the door pannels and moldings. Decided to go with color matched paint on the panels so they match my seats and the speaker grills in black along with the armrests and the area above it in black . Also the carpet on the front door pannels in black. It would be done by this weekend but when I ran out of glue doing the headliner and had to use the locktite 300 to finish it....yep the shit didnt hold up to the heat and above the driver seat fell down! Pist off about that one for sure! That headliner was perfect!! And tha a and b pillars have to be redone because it is coming undone on those to! Dont use the locktite glue on anything! That shit sucks. It even says it's for high temperatures but it couldn't hold up to the 118 here in az. Pisces me off to because the b pillars took at least 3 hours each to wrap! Word of advice, if you have to glue something only use DAP weldwood the blue and white gallon jug that says landau on it. I'll post a pic. That is the best glue to use on automotive.

20180806_205016.jpg 20180807_173411.jpg 20180809_003106.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found the problem with the paint not drying. Has something to do with washing plastic with Dawn dish soap! There's something in it that messes it up. Use tied powder laundry soap instead. No problems ps do NOT get dawn in your eye! I put the sponge to close to the pump on my kitchen sink and it ricocheted a stream right into my left eye not a little bit a full-blown stream. Being how I am already blind in my right eye when that soap hit me in the left eye I couldn't see shit for probably a day and a half. 3 days after when I would wake up it was like having pink eye all crusty and just full of pus and nasty shit. So yeah watch out for that Dawn LOL that's one bad *****!
I have used Dawn on my plastics forever and not had a problem. Scotchbrite with Dawn, then rinse good, followed by a good adhesion promoter followed by SEM paint. I’ve painted a dash, exterior plastics, etc this way and they’ve held up for years so far.

OP
OP
Ryan Buck

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used Dawn on my plastics forever and not had a problem. Scotchbrite with Dawn, then rinse good, followed by a good adhesion promoter followed by SEM paint. I’ve painted a dash, exterior plastics, etc this way and they’ve held up for years so far.
Yeah idk why it did that. A lot of things I have read said they use dawn also. Maybe the limco paint doesn’t like it who knows. The paint I have for the door panels is sem so it should be easy. I bought a whole quart of it color matched.

OP
OP
Ryan Buck

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Limco is a exterior paint made by basf. I’m hoping the paint store has the color match pretty accurate

OP
OP
Ryan Buck

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the door panels sprayed took a home court to paint for door panels with the sem paint but it came out good the paint lay down super smooth no runs no problems at all I'm real happy with it

20180809_210321.jpg

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well tonight I got all of the wiring redone on my radio up to my standards. I put a whole new system in it back in January with Polk audio components in the front and rear doors 6.5 inch and a pioneer in-dash flip screen and I rear and all of the wiring from the door speakers to an amp under the seat so stereo was pretty legit in it. I got this Dash installed also. The grab bar is just an extra that I have in the garage so I put it in there so it looks a little better for the photo LOL the interior guy has the one that I'm going to put in it he's wrapping it right now. I'm going to rap the face of the airbag tomorrow when I get off work in leather is so I can put it back in and then hopefully by the end of the weekend have the headliner done in put back in but at this rate who knows LOL I had to give up kind of early tonight so I can go soak in the bathtub. If y'all have any more suggestions shoot on my way I'm always open for ideas on different stuff. I'm also thinking about taking out the 1.5 din radio and putting a 2 din in it. I'm hoping and I'm not sure and I've never ****** with it yet but I'm hoping I can get the radio basket out of an 03 or newer Chevy and on both the whole basket assembly from my Dash and put that one in and be able to put a double DIN in it with the AC controller lining up. So I'll have to get the 03 through 06 Dash bezel because right now I have the one that's for 2002 only which sucks.

View attachment 202897
You can epoxy, speqker grille mesh from behind/inside the dash for those defrost vents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT