Recommendation on replacing oem shocks. Kyb, bilstein, belltech ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adam p

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Searched, didnt find my answer... Looking to replace the current oem units. i do a lot of highway driving with a couple hundred pounds of stuff for work. truck is leveled in the rear with springs and on 24s with 35 series tires. heres my current choices

Kyb excel-g:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-Excel-G...Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a1b8731f&vxp=mtr

Or billstein gas:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BILSTEIN-He...Parts_Accessories&hash=item589c670d5f&vxp=mtr

Or belltech street performance;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Belltech-St...Parts_Accessories&hash=item460ea74b38&vxp=mtr

They are all roughly $300 for the set, didn't know if one was far superior or vice versa. Also just replaced all fluids, belts, plugs, ball joints, etc at 100k. trying o do all preventive maintanence before needed. what else is coming up?Thanks guys

jplong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adam...from what i have read I have seen that Bilsteins are the best route.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
unless you get the new valving that im working on getting set up on the belltechs :)

OP
OP
adam p

adam p

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ya that's what everyone says, either belltech or bilsteins. If the belltech guy says the bilsteins > current belltechs, I'll have to go with them

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
i think its on the person driving. Ive installed both. Some people like bilsteins while others i swapped to belltechs for a smoother ride. Id say get the bilsteins from a place you can test them out and if you dont like em just return them

OP
OP
adam p

adam p

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I do a lot of highway driving with a lot of weight in the truck. A less bumpy ride would be awesome

OP
OP
adam p

adam p

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just ordered the bilsteins, will update once installed

jeffm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
what shocks to use

Hi -- I'm looking for similar information, but for a different driving scenario. I recently bought an 07 Tahoe, 87K miles, original shocks. I pull a 4K lb trailer for work and the ride is a bit bouncy. I previously had a n 05 Tahoe w/ the air suspension and had no bounce problem. Do you think changing the shocks to more heavy duty ones will resolve the bounce, or do you think I should change the springs, or both? And if shocks, Bilstein? Are there different models of Bilstein? If so, which one should I get? Thanks!

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
jeff airlift helper bags 80 dollars and they will work perfect. pm me ill shoot you info i just did one on monday same issue you have and hes towing his car out to the street races tonight with me and ill keep you updated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pmack