Recommend me a decent quality catch can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackYukon

I'm kind of a Retard
Reaction score
After spending so much on the 2019 Z71 suburban I splurged for the RXP dual can system. After 6k miles nothing from the clean side can but about 2oz on the dirty side. View attachment 345474
Probably a stupid question but, what causes some catch cans to collect more than others? I'v seen some guys have an entirely full catch can after only 1K miles but others only collect like 2oz in 6K miles like yours.

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question but, what causes some catch cans to collect more than others? I'v seen some guys have an entirely full catch can after only 1K miles but others only collect like 2oz in 6K miles like yours.
In cold winter climates the systems collect a lot of water along with the oil. You will see a large amount of what looks like chocolate milk. I bought an extra large can since I line in the midwest but haven't logged a lot of winter driving. My results were march to July this year. So the climate actually is part of the differential, also engines are not all the same, driving styles, etc. When buying make sure it is an air/oil separator not just a can. Some forum members have bought cheap ebay cans and then insert stainless steel scrubbing pad into it to turn the can into an air/oil separator. I found this youtube helpful

BlackYukon

I'm kind of a Retard
Reaction score
In cold winter climates the systems collect a lot of water along with the oil. You will see a large amount of what looks like chocolate milk. I bought an extra large can since I line in the midwest but haven't logged a lot of winter driving. My results were march to July this year. So the climate actually is part of the differential, also engines are not all the same, driving styles, etc. When buying make sure it is an air/oil separator not just a can. Some forum members have bought cheap ebay cans and then insert stainless steel scrubbing pad into it to turn the can into an air/oil separator. I found this youtube helpful

Did not know that. thanks.

Reaction score
I run dual JLT cans on my Mustang and they were a super easy install, super easy to empty and they blend right in.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did not know that. thanks.
Yup I can vouch for that. Six months out of the year here it's below freezing and my JLT fills up quickly with an oil/water mixture.

During the other six months I can go over a month sometimes without emptying it and when I do it's straight oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17