UPR Catch Can w/CSS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The purpose of this thread is to provide my impressions of UPR Products' Dual Valve Catch Can CSS Plug N Play system for the 5.3L. I ordered their premium kit with clean side separator as well as spare O-rings and check valves. The kit can be found here:

http://www.uprproducts.com/chevrolet-gm-billet-oil-catch-can-dual-valve-css-silverado-53-14.html

I did not start this thread to open up discussion(s) on the opinion of usefulness or effectiveness of a catch can, but rather to inform those of you who are thinking of adding one and may be on the fence about which brand to choose. As we all know, direct injected trucks don't have the benefit of the injectors cleaning the back side of the valves. Catch Can/Oil Separator mods may or may not prolong carbon build up on the back side of the valves. I'm not here to say this is the end all solution by any means. Furthermore, I am posting this on my own accord, am not affiliated with UPR Products, and was not paid or asked to post this by UPR Products. I chose the UPR Products can because I had been monitoring a few threads over in the Silverado forums and the company seems to really stand by their products, were very responsive to customer inquiries, and I really like the fact that all the hose connections use OEM plugs. Overall, I think the kit is tastefully designed offering both form and function.

The vehicle is a 2018 Chevy Tahoe with the GM/Borla touring exhaust, the GM Performance Air Intake, and a custom Black Bear Tune. Odometer currently reads approximately 12,500 Miles.

This thread will be ongoing throughout the process. I'll start by uploading a photo of the engine bay in current form and then some photos of what comes in the box. Installation will commence over the next week or so as I am waiting on some additional parts for the install (will explain later) The entire installation process should take no more than about a half an hour once I have what I need. 0113191348_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tk59194

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The purpose of this thread is to provide my impressions of UPR Products' Dual Valve Catch Can CSS Plug N Play system for the 5.3L. I ordered their premium kit with clean side separator as well as spare O-rings and check the valves. The kit can be found here:

http://www.uprproducts.com/chevrolet-gm-billet-oil-catch-can-dual-valve-css-silverado-53-14.html

I did not start this thread to open up discussion(s) on the opinion of usefulness or effectiveness of a catch can, but rather to inform those of you who are thinking of adding one and may be on the fence about which brand to choose. As we all know, direct injected trucks don't have the benefit of the injectors cleaning the back side of the valves. Catch Can/Oil Separator mods may or may not prolong carbon build up on the back side of the valves. I'm not here to say this is the end all solution by any means. Furthermore, I am posting this on my own accord, am not affiliated with UPR Products, and was not paid or asked to post this by UPR Products. I chose the UPR Products can because I had been monitoring a few threads over in the Silverado forums and the company seems to really stand by their products, were very responsive to customer inquiries, and I really like the fact that all the hose connections use OEM plugs. Overall, I think the kit is tastefully designed offering both form and function.

The vehicle is a 2018 Chevy Tahoe with the GM/Borla touring exhaust, the GM Performance Air Intake, and a custom Black Bear Tune. Odometer currently reads approximately 12,500 Miles.

This thread will be ongoing throughout the process. I'll start by uploading a photo of the engine bay in current form and then some photos of what comes in the box. Installation will commence over the next week or so as I am waiting on some additional parts for the install (will explain later) The entire installation process should take no more than about a half an hour once I have what I need. View attachment 214055

If you notice, GM cheaped out on their performance intake tube by only providing one bung/connection port with a T connection going to the valve covers. I will be tapping an additional port into the right side of the intake for the Clean Side Separator. These are the parts I am waiting for.

OP
OP
Tk59194

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rocket Man, I linked the site above. Price depends on which options are chosen.

I completed the installation over the weekend. Initial thoughts as well as photos coming soon.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I was hoping it was less than the other high-end catch cans I have looked at but of course not. I just can’t bring myself to spend $500 on one no matter how nice it is.

OP
OP
Tk59194

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand that. I plan to keep the truck for a while. For what I paid for my truck, the can/separator was small change. I researched all the different brands and determined that UPR was the system for me. Direct injection engines wreak havoc in the intake and over time can and will coke up the valves. Time will tell if oil separators prevent/slow this.

Joseph Mainiero

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I was hoping it was less than the other high-end catch cans I have looked at but of course not. I just can’t bring myself to spend $500 on one no matter how nice it is.

UPR is offering a great special for Tahoe Yukon forum members that PM us.

Thank you, Joe

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tk59194

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys as a follow up, here are the results of the install.

Installation was a breeze. The kit comes with a very detailed set of instructions. Being that all hoses come with factory fittings, the kit truly is plug and play. Instructions for the kit can be found on their website so I will not go through a step by step.

The kit looks great! There are other cans on the market but I wanted both form and function. Also, of note, I opted for the dual valve system with the clean side separator. I suspect this is overkill for my truck and what i use it for, but I wanted their very best offering. I had considered the single valve setup without the CSS, but decided to splurge in the end.

Here are some photos of the kit installed. The can itself is mounted on a bracket which is installed at the brake booster. The machining on everything is top notch. Hard to explain unless you have it in your hands, but it feels like quality.

0116192148_HDR~2.jpg 0118191530_HDR.jpg 0116192147a_HDR~2.jpg 0116192148_HDR~2.jpg 0121190842a_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone know were to get the quick disconnectors? Wouldnt mind keeping things look stock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgeurts

Latest posts