Rebuilding a steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So enticing! I thought it might be a simple swap. I may wait until other projects are completed. There's many factory upgrades that can be added to these trucks it's a bit mind blowing. I'd never even heard of hydroboost before. I'll just order the standard pump for now and reuse my old reservoir to save a few dollars.

Anybody know where I can get the adapter to bleed the pump with my mighty vac? The deal that fits over the cap?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have one, but I found the site while poking around on your behalf...

Manufacturer's website has all the adapters available.

Actually, that was to figure out which one you want...
Here is where to buy them.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bloody rebuild kit didn't have all the parts. I bought the Gates 348526, damn thing said four bolt box, then had instructions for rack an pinion when I opened it. I think I maybe was supposed to buy this kit HERE

Otherwise VERY easy project...

Anybody know where I can get bearings?

Input shaft bearing inside #10 stub shaft housing (Part Number INA-FC68773.2)
#12 Needle Bearing assembly pitman shaft output. (Part Number INA-SLH12501)

Also I'm having a he LL of a time sorting out what power steering pump I have. I do not have hydro boost. However, what is the "vacuum booster".

Lastly is it hard to reuse the old revivor?

1653280341592.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the steering gearbox re-assmbled. I put a bit of Dexron VI in it and tested it out with a wrench. Has nice action. Not really anything adjustable other than the setscrew. After tearing it down I realize, play could possibly be due to blow by as well gear lash. There's five Teflon seals for different pressure circuits. I try to recall how these work but four of them appear to be for valves / valve. Piston has one, and there's another at end of valve chamber.

Video of finished, w/ some of my challenges.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18K47jYh1A7rHIiow8fbfWQmfoOYcBebH/view?usp=sharing

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, it's built! All installed and works AWESOME. I ended up rebuilding two gearboxes and filming one. I put the clips (quite disorganized) onto youtube. It's a VERY VERY VERY VERY detailed rebuild. All the things the other tutorials missed that I had questions about are in the tutorial I made:

Only thing is, I didn't have much time to edit it beautifully or script it. So a bit disorganized. However, if you ever want to rebuild one... All the details should be in there. If not, you can ask me any questions.

I have ZERO slop in steering now and is much more confident when I turn the wheel. Feels GREAT.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, it's built! All installed and works AWESOME. I ended up rebuilding two gearboxes and filming one. I put the clips (quite disorganized) onto youtube. It's a VERY VERY VERY VERY detailed rebuild. All the things the other tutorials missed that I had questions about are in the tutorial I made:

Only thing is, I didn't have much time to edit it beautifully or script it. So a bit disorganized. However, if you ever want to rebuild one... All the details should be in there. If not, you can ask me any questions.

I have ZERO slop in steering now and is much more confident when I turn the wheel. Feels GREAT
You are a M A D M A N! No way Id even mess with rebuilding one of those monsters.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks @rockola1971 actually was pretty simple :) I'm sure you'd figure it on lickedy split!

I'm wondering if it's worth making tutorials for our trucks. I've got a studio (you'd never know having seen that haha)

However, it's a LOT of work, and I hate to say, I'd have to find a way making money doing it to justify the time investment.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody know what snap ring plyers don't SUCK? That was the hardest part of the entire rebuild. My snap ring plyers kept slipping off the snap ring.

Also I have a smaller 670 gearbox I bought by mistake and rebuild. It only needs a few things to be complete. I'll be finding it a home after it's done if anybody wants a rebuild 670 gearbox (three bolt valve body) PM me.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I have ZERO slop in steering now and is much more confident when I turn the wheel. Feels GREAT.

Interesting videos, Matthew. 2004 Tahoe, 111k on the clock. I'm in the process of trying to remove slop from my steering gear, and wonder if you have any insight about doing it on the truck. Gearbox is a reman NAPA installed a few years ago, maybe around 10k miles on it.

Originally I could move my steering wheel back and forth a few inches (at center) and not get any movement to the output shaft, testing with truck on the ground. The input shaft doesn't have play. I've made a full clockwise turn on the allen screw, but still have some steering wheel movement without the pitman arm moving. I didn't want to go too far, but do you think it would make any difference to unload the frontend by raising the wheels off the ground?

Would appreciate any comments or thoughts from you and the group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz