Rebuilding a steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to have a my 2001 Z71 Tahoe aligned. One of the FEW places I've not rebuild is the steering box. There's ZERO play in front suspension / steering joints. However, the steering wheel seems a little spongy. I kind of thought was normal performance as it doesn't clunk or anything. However, I drives differently than my buddy's 2005 Z71 silverado. Turning is not as confident. The shop couldn't find center on the steering wheel with relation to the wheels for alignment though. The said the steering box needs rebuilt...

Long story short, has anybody rebuilt one of these steering boxes. I'm going to take the job on but don't know exactly what to order. I see there are various different kits with different parts.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might find a service manual for it at these links-

The most important section is the front adjustment under domed cover. That determines the torque load before movement begins. Stay on hi side.Inspect gear closely. That is usually the issue. Someone here has the wrench, doublelieve or swathdiver or east302 if I remember correctly. Ebay is also an option.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked with a friend who is a ASE mechanic. He said, he thought there's an adjustment screw to take the play out of the wheel. Anybody familiar with that procedure? Maybe I don't need to tear it down. It's not leaking, just a little loose.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I talked with a friend who is a ASE mechanic. He said, he thought there's an adjustment screw to take the play out of the wheel. Anybody familiar with that procedure? Maybe I don't need to tear it down. It's not leaking, just a little loose.
Yes sir! Did that on my 03 Burb. I placed an allen wrench in the adjuster, noted the location and loosened the jam nut while holding position of the adjuster. I think I went almost a half turn tighter maybe more. I just adjusted and test drove it until it felt better. Then I resisted the urge to go further. Drove almost another 100k after that.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tightened mine 2 turns. Seemed like a lot... I simply grabed the input shaft and wiggled it as I tightened until the slop was taken up. Then I backed off and VERY lightly tightened then set the lock nut making sure it didn't turn further.

I saw a video on youtube where the guy said to tighten that set screw to 3 ft lbs (finger tight). I couldn't find the rebuild manual for the gearbox though. So hopefully I didn't over do it!

It feels good driving though. About like I'd expect from a truck. Before was just loose. It would respond going down the highway, but was SUPER easy to turn the wheel. When stopped, you could wiggle the steering wheel. Not quite like other vehicles I'd drove with bad steering but just loose feeling. Another truck I drove didn't turn at all till I took up slop in the wheel. Mine never did that.

Anyways, I think I got it. Just hopefully didn't over do it.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would be fun to know is what the make, model, etc. of the gear box is. I think is a "Saginaw" box? I don't know a lot about these. I may buy a second one from the junkyard and rebuild it.

I think the fact I had to turn in the setscrew that much means the bearings are heavily worn.

Putting notes below...

I watched this:

Here's a guy rebuilding a gearbox from 2003 Z71 tahoe:

This is where he talked about 3 ft lbs on the set screw.

Found this:

and this:

Guy in one of videos said rebuild procedure for older Saginaw box is in this book, although wouldn't be for my truck:

Exploded Diagram:

1645930265998.png

1645930335359.png

Adjusting procedure for Saginaw box:

Last edited:

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check above links, Look for Unit Repair Manual ST333 88 1998 may be close enough to be helpful.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I'm maybe in a pickle haha

So when I drive the truck, I can let my hands off the wheel and it doesn't return to straight. It comes close but not all the way (maybe within a 1/5 of the way).

I decided to loosen up the set screw a bit... We'll I now notice, it doesn't matter if I loosen it, or tighten it. The steering feels the exact same. It's super weird. So I COMPLETELY loosened the screw and locked the nut. Hopefully it will loosen the steering back up, then I can repeat the procedure?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, if anybody else does this in the vehicle. You should REALLY lift the front end off the ground so you have only resistance of gearbox when testing play in the wheel. I lifted my front end up, spun the adjuster all the way up / out / loosest position, and my steering is REALLY stiff. I put a mechanic's stethoscope on the gear box and spun steering wheel with engine running and not running. Both had no ill sounds... but something must have bound up in the box during adjustment. I cannot quite figure it out now. The box still functions but has me nervous. I may just buy another gearbox.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec