Rebuilding a steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm STILL adjusting lash on my steering box. Slowly but surely. It's a hobby truck. I go out once a week in mountains exploring. Each time I tighten the set screw a 1/8th turn. It's getting better! I should have never loosened it all the way. I may also have a loose pitman arm.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Matthew- There is a tray of sorts connected to the Adjustment bolt. This guides the recirculating balls. I adjust them 1/8 turn at a time like you, but with eng running. Then I can hear if it goes "on Pressure" while tightening. Still have to test for balls binding though. Good luck These boxes are tough for what they do.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to order a rebuild kit. Not exactly sure where to get a good one for the steering gearbox.

Next I want to order a new power steering pump... might as well, I have 250,000 miles but I see there are multiple different pumps. Not sure if I have; hydroboost?

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched a handful of rebuild videos on Youtube for saginaw steering boxes. Only one found on a Z71 (will update post above with notes to include that).

I ordered this rebuild kit here after combing over RockAuto

Also ordered a new pitman arm and idler arm. I think mine may have some play in them as I get a ever so slight wiggle when pulling on steering bar.

Was sorted about Moog or Mevotech. I bought Moog ball joints for control arms and the boots fell apart. The moog arms were a few more dollars than Mevotech. However, I ordered the moog.

@Fless Pictures of master cylinder... Is that a hyrdroboost? Curious is it something would be good to upgrade to if not?
20220425_103849.jpg20220425_103855.jpg20220425_103902.jpg

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's not hydroboost, it's a vacuum booster. There are some Youtubes on converting to Hydroboost, and doing that would take a different power steering pump along with the other hydroboost parts.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With higher pressure, anyone converting to Hydroboost might want to plan on replacing old brake lines and add stainless braided hoses...

This article says pressure can be nearly double with Hydroboost.

"Hydroboost systems are also capable of delivering significantly greater pressure through a braking system than a vacuum boost. In some cases, you can more than double the pounds of pressure being distributed to your brakes simply by opting for hydroboost."

Some lines and hoses might already be on the edge of being able to contain regular pressure from the vacuum boost system, let alone double the pressure. Fluid could blow out big time, if added to a fragile distribution system.

Full article for fun reading...

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
With higher pressure, anyone converting to Hydroboost might want to plan on replacing old brake lines and add stainless braided hoses...

This article says pressure can be nearly double with Hydroboost.

"Hydroboost systems are also capable of delivering significantly greater pressure through a braking system than a vacuum boost. In some cases, you can more than double the pounds of pressure being distributed to your brakes simply by opting for hydroboost."

Some lines and hoses might already be on the edge of being able to contain regular pressure from the vacuum boost system, let alone double the pressure. Fluid could blow out big time, if added to a fragile distribution system.

Full article for fun reading...
I have hydroboost in my Express van and love it. Van stops great, and it's very heavy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2