Rear wiper arm fell off....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of snow yesterday, and on my way home from the mountain I tried to remove a bit of the snow buildup. Clicking the switch to run the rear wiper and I heard a faint crack. I just figured that.... who knows. When I stopped at a gas station to wipe off the snow I saw the entire arm dangling by the fluid hose.

Is there a better version of a new arm to buy over whatever is available on Scamazon or Rock Auto?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Too heavy snow?

Sh!tty plastic construction?

Burly electric motorb?
Is the motor transmission still good? Splines still good? The old arm was plastic? I personally clear snow away before turning on wipers and the heat grid at rear should keep it melted enough to wipe ok. At RA, a Dorman rear arm is listed and is metal. When I replaced mine, right after I got the rig, I found a NOS at a local dealer and snapped it on with a new wiper blade. Here in the valley floor, we don't get much snow though.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the motor transmission still good? Splines still good? The old arm was plastic? I personally clear snow away before turning on wipers and the heat grid at rear should keep it melted enough to wipe ok. At RA, a Dorman rear arm is listed and is metal. When I replaced mine, right after I got the rig, I found a NOS at a local dealer and snapped it on with a new wiper blade. Here in the valley floor, we don't get much snow though.

Snow was cleared, and rear-defroster is always used, but the timer on that is something dumb and short, like 2 minutes. On top of that there was a no-kidding blizzard of heavy/wet snow, that clings to the rear window.... I'll take a look at that Dorman unit.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be a little locking tab that you must slide over for it to stay locked onto the spline shaft that comes out of the wiper motor. Maybe that is loose or damaged in some way and isn't holding the wiper arm on.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be a little locking tab that you must slide over for it to stay locked onto the spline shaft that comes out of the wiper motor. Maybe that is loose or damaged in some way and isn't holding the wiper arm on.

Not the case.

Lots of broken plastics and separation of a major section of the arm from the vehicle. No coming back from this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick