Rear main seal replaced now ticking noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JML07denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So last week I had the rear main seal replaced. I get the car back and I hear a faint ticking noise I don’t know if it is a lifter or a exhaust manifold leak? Does anyone know if the exhaust manifold would have to be removed or loosened to replace the rear main seal?

The noise is coming from the right hand side of the engine. It seems strange that’s I have this issue right after this repair. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both sides of the exhaust need to be removed but not the manifolds, just from the manifolds back I believe. At least on my 02, not sure about the NNBS. Might be leaking from where the manifold bolts to the mid pipe. But yes Id say most likely an exhaust leak.

OP
OP
JML07denali

JML07denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both sides of the exhaust need to be removed but not the manifolds, just from the manifolds back I believe. At least on my 02, not sure about the NNBS. Might be leaking from where the manifold bolts to the mid pipe. But yes Id say most likely an exhaust leak.

Looks like it’s going back to the shop so they can fix it! Keep the thread updated on the outcome.

OP
OP
JML07denali

JML07denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it’s going back to the shop so they can fix it! Keep the thread updated on the outcome.

Well looks like broken manifold boltab8e5c621fd3d43eb4cededded32a865.jpg

Anyone know of a clamp kit to fix this?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well looks like broken manifold boltab8e5c621fd3d43eb4cededded32a865.jpg

Anyone know of a clamp kit to fix this?
Search for Dorman GM exhaust manifold clamp. Make sure to get one for the correct position, there’s 2 or 3 different ones. Looks like passenger side front?

OP
OP
JML07denali

JML07denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search for Dorman GM exhaust manifold clamp. Make sure to get one for the correct position, there’s 2 or 3 different ones. Looks like passenger side front?
Yep!

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Kral Auto Parts now has a clamp for every position. I have a 6.2 and have clamps on rear bolt positions, both sides. They've been on for 3 years and zero issues. Still runs quiet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans