REAR END UPGRADES

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Junior_97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What’s up guys new to the forum. I have a 2002 Tahoe 5.3 flex fuel. Looking for a good rear end to upgrade to, currently stuck with the 3:42 and want something more sturdy. Savage yard finds would be fine. Thanks in advance.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

When I saw the title I thought you were searching for a new wife or girlfriend.

Are you talking about just the gears or the whole axle assembly. I had an 02 Tahoe and loved my 3.73 gears.

If you are doing the whole axle, I would use the 9.5" 14 bolt semi float axle. If you have 4x4, you will need to do the gears in the front diff as well. Or just bolt in the 3.42 gear 14 bolt semi float at the rear.

OP
OP
J

Junior_97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Preferably a new axle assembly. I found a 10 bolt with 4:10 and a g80 locker for 450$ but I was told the 12 bolt or 14 bolt are the way to go

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sound advice and perspectives from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s up guys new to the forum. I have a 2002 Tahoe 5.3 flex fuel. Looking for a good rear end to upgrade to, currently stuck with the 3:42 and want something more sturdy. Savage yard finds would be fine. Thanks in advance.
Go to LKQOnline and look for 14-Bolt Saginaw 9.5" axles (RPO AXN) in RWD Escalades and Denalis (2007-2014), they all have 3.42 gears and G80. Just bought one for $289 plus tax but every area is different. LKQ even warrants it. So you have to tell them yours has a 9.5 with 3.42 gears.

We'll eventually install 3.73s in ours.