Rear differential advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Make sure you check the driveshaft u-joints. The rear u-joint and possibly the yoke, may have some problems. That pinion gear rubbing the carrier shows that the pinion gear had moved back to the carrier and therefore that yoke could be damaged as well. Just a good inspection will reveal problems. The area where the seal rides on the yoke may have grooves and therefore the yoke should be replaced and put a new seal there too and check the axle seals as well on the used axle.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HI there

I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 with an issue. I thought it was a transfer case how it acted. But after looking closer it is the rear differential. I have metal pieces in the case and broken chunks of the ring and pinon gear. One of my questions is in fixing should I replace the carrier only or the gears inside it also just in case. I am putting some photos up. Also it has over 250,000 miles on it and looks to be original undercarriage.

This is a daily driver and gets a lot of miles due to trips and pulls a trailer.

Bill

View attachment 236056 View attachment 236057 View attachment 236058

WOW!!!!!! o_Oo_Oo_O:confused:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
new ring & pinion, eaton detroit.
the detroit is stronger than oem, probably never break again
yes it cost's a little more but that's how it goes, pay now or pay again later

Forum statistics

Threads