Rear differential advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

norsebill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
HI there

I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 with an issue. I thought it was a transfer case how it acted. But after looking closer it is the rear differential. I have metal pieces in the case and broken chunks of the ring and pinon gear. One of my questions is in fixing should I replace the carrier only or the gears inside it also just in case. I am putting some photos up. Also it has over 250,000 miles on it and looks to be original undercarriage.

This is a daily driver and gets a lot of miles due to trips and pulls a trailer.

Bill

20191206_183433.jpg 20191206_183437.jpg 20191206_183444.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HI there

I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 with an issue. I thought it was a transfer case how it acted. But after looking closer it is the rear differential. I have metal pieces in the case and broken chunks of the ring and pinon gear. One of my questions is in fixing should I replace the carrier only or the gears inside it also just in case. I am putting some photos up. Also it has over 250,000 miles on it and looks to be original undercarriage.

This is a daily driver and gets a lot of miles due to trips and pulls a trailer.

Bill

View attachment 236056 View attachment 236057 View attachment 236058

Do you mean the ring and pinion? Well, I'd give them a good look but cannot imagine how they would not be damaged. Might also consider picking up another whole axle out of a salvage yard instead. Swap the whole thing and keep trucking.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HI there

Bill

View attachment 236056 View attachment 236057 View attachment 236058
looks like the oil has never been replaced

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Definite damage to the carrier by the pinion gear. Like swathdiver says, swap in a used axle assembly with the same ratio and keep on going.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m with James and Ron on this. Try and find a used rear end and swap. Once you do that, make sure you keep the fluids fresh. Not sure how often you serviced your differential but if you are towing a lot, the fluid needs changed on a regular basis.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Plus, on an 03 the swap is very straight forward. A couple jack stands, a floor jack, tools, air compressor if can, a friend and a cooler of beer and you are set to do a rear diff swap. Make sure to freshen the fluid and bleed brakes correctly and like Wade said, keep the fluid fresh.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X4 replace, I wouldnt even bother trying to fix it. Lots of cleaning and new everything needed, and setting them up is a pain and takes some skill. how did you not hear the rear end coming apartthough, did you hear whining,whirring,clunking ,popping? Amazed you didnt get stranded. I vote get a used one, just open it and make sure everything looks good, no finger catching wear patterns and no sharp edges, no shiny oil also, and inspect the magnet for abnormal particles.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X4 replace, I wouldnt even bother trying to fix it. Lots of cleaning and new everything needed, and setting them up is a pain and takes some skill. how did you not hear the rear end coming apartthough, did you hear whining,whirring,clunking ,popping? Amazed you didnt get stranded. I vote get a used one, just open it and make sure everything looks good, no finger catching wear patterns and no sharp edges, no shiny oil also, and inspect the magnet for abnormal particles.
it looks it ran out of oil or leaked out and someone tired to fill it up after the horses left the barn

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score

X5