Rear Coil Insulator/Heater Hose Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Looking to bring the rear down, ever so slightly on a 16 Escalade with MagneRide, but trying to keep suspension as close to stock as possible. From what I've read, if I pull the top and bottom insulators in the rear and replace with 5/8 heater hose, that should net me around 3/4-1" of drop, which I think would be just about right for me.

Question: if I do that, do I need to shorten the sensor rods, and if so, how much shorter to compensate for such a small drop? What issues might I run into if the rods are either too short or too long? Would the MaxTrac rods work or is that overkill?

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will need to adjust, otherwise the auto level will adjust to the preset determined height..i dont recall, but you may be able to remove the ball ends and replace the shaft with a length of all thread, then adjust to your liking

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory rods are about 3.5” from C to C of installed caps. Get some #10 -24 x 3” machine screws and cut the head off. Do the heater mod and measure height once settled from the ground to fender. Try around 3” c to c for the machine screw center cap to cap and fire it up and see how much/if the airbags pump it up.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to bring the rear down, ever so slightly on a 16 Escalade with MagneRide, but trying to keep suspension as close to stock as possible. From what I've read, if I pull the top and bottom insulators in the rear and replace with 5/8 heater hose, that should net me around 3/4-1" of drop, which I think would be just about right for me.

Question: if I do that, do I need to shorten the sensor rods, and if so, how much shorter to compensate for such a small drop? What issues might I run into if the rods are either too short or too long? Would the MaxTrac rods work or is that overkill?

On mine, I made very precise marks on the sensors themselves with the rear at it's factory, unmodified height. I made a bold line with a silver marker, then used my razor knife to scratch a (literally) razor sharp line in the plastic through the center of the silver marker line. After lowering, I made links out of allthread that realigned the marks I made. Can't get any more accurate than a razor line.

This was for a 4"+ drop, so there was a significant difference in the sensors. For a mild drop such as yours, you can simply bend the rods since you will have such a small difference. You won't have to bend them much at all, but it still needs to be done. Otherwise, it'll just air up to the stock height and you'll lose your drop plus have a firmer ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts