Rear Axillary heater core question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

opfor2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
discovered that I have a small leak in my rear axillary heater core. I just ordered a replacement OEM core from Rock Auto. Do I need to evacuate the AC system in order to replace the core?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
It is the first I’ve seen of a rear heater core going. I’m curious to see if it had plastic end tanks or solid like an a/c core.

I can see that you’d have to evaq the system to get the heater core out. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
opfor2

opfor2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the first I’ve seen of a rear heater core going. I’m curious to see if it had plastic end tanks or solid like an a/c core.

I can see that you’d have to evaq the system to get the heater core out. Fingers crossed.
Ya I guess they really don't leak that much for your the only one who answered up. I really don't want to deal with the AC however if I have to I have everything needed. My service manual stated that the AC must be evacuated but sometimes there is a work around. I guess we will find out. I received the OEM core today lol

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
You’ll be delving into this once the panels removed. I can’t see how gm could of integrated the heater core into the evap coil but you’re right, we’ll see.

Attachments

• 8F77DFE7-89C8-40A3-AE2D-95E9F5310B2B.jpeg
    8F77DFE7-89C8-40A3-AE2D-95E9F5310B2B.jpeg
    440.7 KB · Views: 10

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I don't even know where the rear heater core is on these SUVs.

It's leaking antifreeze/coolant, right? Where does the leak show up? Inside? It's the same lines that tee off from the front heater core connectors near the firewall?

OP
OP
opfor2

opfor2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm revisiting this issue for my leak seems to be getting worse, so has anyone replaced their rear auxiliary heater core? And if so any recommendations??

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Here’s the sawzall method of removing the rear hvac. I’m going to assume the heater hoses he cut are readily available for replacement though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n