Rear Air shock question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, so the next question is does the air come on? when you turn the key to on (you don't have to start the truck) about 1 or 2 seconds later you should hear the air pump come on, the pump is behind the drivers side rear wheel up behind the wheel well/axle area. you should able hear it kick on, the pump airs up both rear shocks at the same time on the same air line there is just "T" splitter that goes to both left & right shocks.
one of 3 things is happening
1. the air pump isn't working, or works but then leaks the air pressure
2. an air line is broken/leaking
3. a shock bellows is bad/leaking

OP
OP
CWARE

CWARE

Reaction score
ok, so the next question is does the air come on? when you turn the key to on (you don't have to start the truck) about 1 or 2 seconds later you should hear the air pump come on, the pump is behind the drivers side rear wheel up behind the wheel well/axle area. you should able hear it kick on, the pump airs up both rear shocks at the same time on the same air line there is just "T" splitter that goes to both left & right shocks.
one of 3 things is happening
1. the air pump isn't working, or works but then leaks the air pressure
2. an air line is broken/leaking
3. a shock bellows is bad/leaking

Yeah the air pump works as it should. I hear it on start up.

I did more picking around earlier and think the issue is definitely the shock now. The bellow was detached again when after manually forcing it back up yesterday. I forced it up again and turned the ignition to the “ON” position to get the pump to start up. I rushed to crawl back under the rear before the pump started and watched as the bellow for the shock in question appeared to fill with air but did not appear to be as firm as the driver side shock. As the pump kicked off I heard a hush of air similar to air brakes ( best way I can describe it). I detached the shock to see what would happen and the air left the bellow. (The air leaving could audibly be heard) I repeated this again to see if the same would occur and it did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the air pump works as it should. I hear it on start up.

I did more picking around earlier and think the issue is definitely the shock now. The bellow was detached again when after manually forcing it back up yesterday. I forced it up again and turned the ignition to the “ON” position to get the pump to start up. I rushed to crawl back under the rear before the pump started and watched as the bellow for the shock in question appeared to fill with air but did not appear to be as firm as the driver side shock. As the pump kicked off I heard a hush of air similar to air brakes ( best way I can describe it). I detached the shock to see what would happen and the air left the bellow. (The air leaving could audibly be heard) I repeated this again to see if the same would occur and it did.

Both rear shocks share the same air line, so if you want to test one side then you would need to cap the line at the "T" on the pump, my recommendation would be if one of them is leaking then the other may not be far behind, I would replace them both at the same time.
also when the pump shuts off it does release some air automatically but not all of it.

OP
OP
CWARE

CWARE

Reaction score
Both rear shocks share the same air line, so if you want to test one side then you would need to cap the line at the "T" on the pump, my recommendation would be if one of them is leaking then the other may not be far behind, I would replace them both at the same time.
also when the pump shuts off it does release some air automatically but not all of it.

Good to know the air release is normal. As far as the shocks themselves go, it’s just crazy they’d go bad a year and a half into having them installed. I do agree that doing both at the same time would be ideal. I placed a call to Arnott a few days ago and left a message. It appeared they may have been shutdown at the time because of Hurricane Dorian.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’d be great if they replaced both or at least gave you a deal on the 2nd so they match. If not you can probably sell the good one without too much trouble.

OP
OP
CWARE

CWARE

Reaction score
Yeah they do have the lifetime warranty. Just hope they don’t say they will only replace the proven bad one only.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah they do have the lifetime warranty. Just hope they don’t say they will only replace the proven bad one only.

They definitely won’t replace both just because one went bad. What would be your argument for replacing a part under warranty that is still working as intended? Say you bought 2,3, 4 or all 8 fuel injectors and one quit. Would you expect that company to replace all the ones you bought because one failed? Nobody does that. It would be damn nice if they did, but that’s wishful thinking.

OP
OP
CWARE

CWARE

Reaction score
They definitely won’t replace both just because one went bad. What would be your argument for replacing a part under warranty that is still working as intended? Say you bought 2,3, 4 or all 8 fuel injectors and one quit. Would you expect that company to replace all the ones you bought because one failed? Nobody does that. It would be damn nice if they did, but that’s wishful thinking.

I never believed or went into it thinking they would replace the good one as well. I was responding to a comment related to that. I’m well aware that that’s a long shot.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just said that because it is recommended to replace both shocks at the same time, another option would be to ask if they would be willing to test it since the other one is bad and you are not confident in it anymore, that way at least you will know both will be good when they warranty the one known bad one, then your only out shipping cost if they say it was good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts