Real world towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kybob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Kicking around the idea of getting a small travel trailer.
Something on the order of RPod, or Wolfpup. 16 to 18 foot. Roughly 3000# dry and 38 ( ish ) loaded. Pulling with 05 Yuk. 5.3 and I believe 3:73 gears. I like the rounded ( sloped ) nose and was wondering how these pull ?? Haven’t bought anything yet, just doing some homework. Any input or thoughts are appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mericas_Meuth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Get it tuned by black bear and it'll pull a whole lot nicer. I remember towing a double axle mowing trailer before I got my tune and the difference was night and day. The cleaner shift points make a whole world of difference. Before hand I had issues with it shifting at very inconvenient times and bogging down horribly. Also the rear suspension can tend to sag if you don't compensate with heavier springs. Doesn't take much to make mine squat big time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

kybob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Get it tuned by black bear and it'll pull a whole lot nicer. I remember towing a double axle mowing trailer before I got my tune and the difference was night and day. The cleaner shift points make a whole world of difference. Before hand I had issues with it shifting at very inconvenient times and bogging down horribly. Also the rear suspension can tend to sag if you don't compensate with heavier springs. Doesn't take much to make mine squat big time.

Yes, tuning sounds like a very good idea. Thanks[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have to think the RPods would tow a little easier than a regular trailer. My Hoe is similar to yours, Z engine and gearing, and here a pic of the 17-footer I pulled last year out to Glenwood Springs and over the Grand Mesa. No problems at all -- just my normal complaints about shift points (tow/haul mode helps):

2018-08-04 Tahoe and Viking Camper - Aug 2018_resized.jpg

I start out at about 6,000 ft above mean sea level and go up from there, going over several 10,000 and 11,000 ft passes. I do need to get a tune to help out but stock should pull the RPod just fine. I'll be renting a 179 or 189 later this summer so I'll get some firsthand knowledge then. I like to fill up with E85 for the octane boost before starting out, but it's hard to find in the mountains and along the way.

EDIT: if you have a transmission temp gauge that would be one thing to watch, and you might want to consider upgrading the tranny cooler to a TruCool or similar.

Mericas_Meuth

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have to think the RPods would tow a little easier than a regular trailer. My Hoe is similar to yours, Z engine and gearing, and here a pic of the 17-footer I pulled last year out to Glenwood Springs and over the Grand Mesa. No problems at all -- just my normal complaints about shift points (tow/haul mode helps):

View attachment 223258

I start out at about 6,000 ft above mean sea level and go up from there, going over several 10,000 and 11,000 ft passes. I do need to get a tune to help out but stock should pull the RPod just fine. I'll be renting a 179 or 189 later this summer so I'll get some firsthand knowledge then. I like to fill up with E85 for the octane boost before starting out, but it's hard to find in the mountains and along the way.

EDIT: if you have a transmission temp gauge that would be one thing to watch, and you might want to consider upgrading the tranny cooler to a TruCool or similar.
^^^What he said about the tranny cooler. But besides the tune, my Tahoe is mostly stock and I think it hauls very well, the power is definitely there. I Plan on upgrading the cooler soon and getting a trans temp gauge.

OP
OP
K

kybob

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Renting is another very good option. Who knows, we may decide this whole thing isn’t what we thought. ( just the wife & I ) or may realize the camper is too small , ( definitely not looking to trade to 3/4 ton truck )
Also been reading up on brake controllers. Hoping it’s a plug & play like the videos show.
I’ll have many more questions as this proceeds. Thank you all.
KyBoB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Brake controllers are PnP in these, but you may have to add a fuse or two in the underhood fusebox. There is one for the trailer brakes and another for the charge line to the trailer battery. Took me about 20 min to hook up a Tekonsha P3 in mine (get a proportional controller, not a timed controller), and I took my time. Just be sure to buy the vehicle-specific cable to plug it in to the harness under the dash. eTrailer.com has good info.

I would expect your 12v charge line to be energized even with the key off, so don't let the trailer sit too long connected or you can drain the truck battery.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am in renting mode now, having sold my large popup and gaining back a garage stall. For as often as I go on a camping trip - usually only once a summer - it makes sense to rent. Yes, it can be pricey, but there's no maintenance and year-round storage costs. Besides, I can rent whatever size or layout if my needs change, and I get to try out a new-ish camper every year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abruck