Real World Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoLand

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking at a 6.2 RST Tahoe or Denali that will be capable of pulling our travel trailer. The trailer is well within the capacity of the Tahoe/Yukon and I’m currently pulling with my 5.3 Silverado.

However, I’m wondering about real world towing experience. Am I going to regret not having the extra 18-20” of the longer version? Will this thing have crazy hitch bounce? I see so few of these actually on the road towing, so I’m hoping you guys can provide some insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure my experience qualifies as I only tow my little 1500 pound pop-up camper. But, the Tahoe doesn't even seem to know it's there. Very little impact on mileage, even.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference between your truck and the others is the chassis. The engine can pull it all day. How heavy is your trailer and how far will you tow it? I can tell you I pull a 4K lbs boat no problem no bounce.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’ll be great. The RST has (I think) the same air bag leveling that the Denali gets. Does a good job of load leveling. If you use weight distribution, I’d get that set up and then turn the truck on and let the airbags work.

mtocrs1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your truck will feel more stable compared to the shorter wheelbase of the Tahoe/Yukon. I have a 2015 Yukon and recently purchased a 2018 Silverado. I won’t tow with the Yukon anymore.
Keep in mind I am pulling an 8k 30’ boat.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your truck will feel more stable compared to the shorter wheelbase of the Tahoe/Yukon. I have a 2015 Yukon and recently purchased a 2018 Silverado. I won’t tow with the Yukon anymore.
Keep in mind I am pulling an 8k 30’ boat.

That’s a use case that definitely calls for a pickup if you’re doing it regularly. I mean, if you put in during the spring/summer and left it in until you were done for the season you could get away with a Tahoe with max tow. If it were an every weekend kind of trip I’d want a more dedicated tow rig.

OP
OP
N

NoLand

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. Trailer is about 25’ hitch to bumper and weights about 5500 fully loaded and I will be using a WD system.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. Trailer is about 25’ hitch to bumper and weights about 5500 fully loaded and I will be using a WD system.

With that set up you should be just fine with the RST Tahoe. You might even prefer it. The new 10 Speed transmission is really nice.

OP
OP
N

NoLand

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
With that set up you should be just fine with the RST Tahoe. You might even prefer it. The new 10 Speed transmission is really nice.

Thanks Lyon, good to hear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan