Towing a travel trailer.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stroker548

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Holy cow. Did I read that correct? 2300 bucks for the hitch?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

minytrker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We towed our old travel trailer once with our lowered yukon xl...the trailer pushed us all around in the wind. I bought a 2500 4x4 suburban it towed 100x better. Now we have a 38ft 10k travel trailer and tow with the suburban.

cycho

Reaction score
7000 - 7500 lbs at 31 feet is no joke. You will need a good WDH with a sway bar and trailer brakes. Did your Denali come with a brake controller? This weight will push you right through the stop light without the right set up. Not to exaggerate but, while there are longer and heavier trailers being towed all over the place, this is a heavy load for a short vehicle. Yes the Denali is capable, I believe it specs out at 12,000 lbs tow rating, but please take on this task with all seriousness and don't be in a hurry to get anywhere.

With that said...go for it! Oh and take water with you that's the least of your worries. You'll get used to it.

OP
OP
J

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7000 - 7500 lbs at 31 feet is no joke. You will need a good WDH with a sway bar and trailer brakes. Did your Denali come with a brake controller? This weight will push you right through the stop light without the right set up. Not to exaggerate but, while there are longer and heavier trailers being towed all over the place, this is a heavy load for a short vehicle. Yes the Denali is capable, I believe it specs out at 12,000 lbs tow rating, but please take on this task with all seriousness and don't be in a hurry to get anywhere.

With that said...go for it! Oh and take water with you that's the least of your worries. You'll get used to it.

The one we are looking at is coming in dry weight at 5878l lbs. If I do get it will be short trips less than 3 hour drive. The Denali does have the tow package with brake controller.

cycho

Reaction score
The one we are looking at is coming in dry weight at 5878l lbs. If I do get it will be short trips less than 3 hour drive. The Denali does have the tow package with brake controller.
Yeah I'm thinking that you'll be in the 7000 range once you "Outfit" the trailer with clothes, bedding, toiletries, food, eating and cooking utensils, cleaning supplies, black/gray water hoses and supplies, gadgets (chargers, tv, music, games, entertainment), house batteries, propane, water, throw rugs (in door and outdoor), various camping supplies (chairs, Firestarter, marshmallow sticks, etc), generator, extension cords and adapters, outdoor string lights, bug stuff (swatters, spray, candles) flash lights, sporting (guns, fishing, binoculars, butterfly net) the list will grow with time.

kaleburditt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
granted mine is older but i too have the tow package with the denali but that didn't mean it came with a transmission cooler and oil cooler. you will need both of these. weight distributing hitch is highly recommended with the 2500 suspension so downright mandatory with the 1500.

with that said you won't need the bags if you get the hitch and set it up properly. then drive around a little bit and redo it since you will do it wrong the first time. level or slightly down is prefered. when dialed in you will forget its back there.

also make sure your tires are truck rated C, D or E. your stock brakes are ok but you will experience a little more rear brake wear. you should get a tire monitoring system for the trailer. i bought a 60 dollar one on amazon and its worked for me for a while now. just keep it plugged in at all times as it takes a minute to update. trailer tires should be pumped to max of sidewall and truck tires are higher than the door but i personally don't max them. you will have to refer to the chart for the tires.

if you do add weight to the trailer keep it over the axle as you need to keep that tongue weight at 10 percent of total towed. don't think you can weigh down the back of the trailer and not buy a wdh. thats not how it works. i tow 5k-7k with a yukon xl through snow and heat and 3000 miles at a time. it seems overheating is my only problem although GM says its within range.

OP
OP
J

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally bought the travel trailer. It measures 31.5 ft and dry weight at 5743lbs. Came with an Eas-lift WDH and sway cntrl. The drive home was about 2.5 hour and had some gusty winds. The SUV handle it fine @55 mph. Initially there was some sway but pulled over and adjusted the sway tension and it was way better. This is my first trailer so I was very nervous driving it home . I got use to it and the last hour of the drive was smooth. Backing it up was an experience but lucky I had good people to help me out.
Unfortunately I took my Yukon to the dealer a few weeks ago for oil consumption (burned 2 qrt of oil in 5k miles) and may need a new engine now. They are tracking my oil consumption now. If it burns oil they will write it up for a new motor. I'm also dealing with GMC directly. I may get that 2500 Denali diesel after all!

20190504_134219_resized_1.jpg

cycho

Reaction score
Finally bought the travel trailer. It measures 31.5 ft and dry weight at 5743lbs. Came with an Eas-lift WDH and sway cntrl. The drive home was about 2.5 hour and had some gusty winds. The SUV handle it fine @55 mph. Initially there was some sway but pulled over and adjusted the sway tension and it was way better. This is my first trailer so I was very nervous driving it home . I got use to it and the last hour of the drive was smooth. Backing it up was an experience but lucky I had good people to help me out.
Unfortunately I took my Yukon to the dealer a few weeks ago for oil consumption (burned 2 qrt of oil in 5k miles) and may need a new engine now. They are tracking my oil consumption now. If it burns oil they will write it up for a new motor. I'm also dealing with GMC directly. I may get that 2500 Denali diesel after all!

View attachment 222575
Backing a trailer. Work from the bottom of the steering wheel. When backing the trailer will go which ever way you turn the BOTTOM of the wheel. Best advice I ever got.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Backing a trailer. Work from the bottom of the steering wheel. When backing the trailer will go which ever way you turn the BOTTOM of the wheel. Best advice I ever got.

Yep and think of moving in an "S" pattern if parking in your driveway or lot. Took me a couple hundred tries and a few mailboxes to figure it out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons