Towing a travel trailer.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015i Denali 6.2 w/8spd tow package and I'm in the process of purchasing a travel trailer. The trailer is 31 footer and a dry weight of 5950 lbs. Its a Sundance 273RL. Every dealer I've been talking to say no problem towing the trailer but I think they will just say anything to get you to purchase a trailer from them.
I was looking for some input before I purchase it.

1. Can the Denali handle a 31ft 5959lb (dry) travel trailer? The majority of the trips will be within 500 miles. Brakes and performance adons I need to get?

2. Whats a good hitch and sway bar to get? The dealer has several models. I was reading about the Hensley Arrow Hitch. The dealer said they are great but expensive and don't sell many of them. I don't mind paying the extra money for safety but if there is another unit that has the same performance but cheaper I would like to know.

3. My ride has 33x12.5 22 Nitto Ridge Grappler with a 2" level kit. Would I need to invest in a rear air bag? One dealer suggested a Firestone air bag to eleminate sagging. Would the air shocks on the Denali be enough?

I anybody has any input or suggestion it will be greatly appreciated

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
James, I think airbags will be a very good idea, especially since you're leveled. Same with the Hensley Arrow but remember, its added weight has to be taken into account.

Now, how much stuff do you think that travel trailer will get put into it? 1,500 pounds? That might put you over your limits and might make towing uncomfortable with the short wheelbase.

Others will chime in.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow a light Trailmanor, so a WDH is not really necessary. However, after my wife packed the trailer, we went onto a scale and found that, while I was still a couple thousand pounds under the maximum weight, I actually was over the maximum for the rear axle! We got a WDH.

So, a lot of it depends on how you pack and distribute the weight. It's probably a good idea to go on a scale later and see the weight distribution. Air bags may level your Denali, but they won't transfer weight to the front wheels. The consequence of this could be reduced steering control, leading to increased chance of sway.

Take it from my experience, it's really really really easy to over pack!

OP
OP
J

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Fless yes probably get a Hensley Arrow but the dealer said they will be giving me a Blue Ox WDH.
@swathdiver I'm planing to travel with the tanks empty and not too much accessories. It should be less than 1000 lbs.

This will be my first TT. I've only towed a 19' Reinell boat boat.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be less than 1000 lbs.

This will be my first TT.

We all start out that way.
Then, you add this, add that, the wife wants this in there, you might need this...

Kids? It gets worse.

I'd figure on 1500 pounds.

OP
OP
J

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We all start out that way.
Then, you add this, add that, the wife wants this in there, you might need this...

Kids? It gets worse.

I'd figure on 1500 pounds.

So true...
Well its either an ice cooler with tons of beers or take the kids with us..... Hummmm I'm going to miss my kids going with us on your trailer vacations... going to miss them!

Stroker548

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its not the weight, its the length. You will hate life pulling that long of a trailer with a yukon.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy