Real Life MPG 5.3 / 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my wifes 2022 Yukon w the 6.2l is getting 15-16 which is under what the 2018 we traded in got.
Yep. That is what stopped me in my tracks. I heard the new active fuel management was greatly improved, and totally different and could run on 2 cylinders. We test drove and loved it. The mileage going down was very surprising. I just figured the new sytem was improved it would be better mileage. Nope. We hesitated coming froma 2017 Yukon Denali which got really good mileage. That hestiation during Covid was right as the market went nuts. We wanted the 3.0 at that point which was impossible. When thing calm, we will try again, till then the Sierra Denali 3.0 will hold us over.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the new body design is much worse on aerodynamics than the previous version? That might be why the two gasser motors get worse fuel mileage across the board.

My wifes ‘16 denali xl with the 6.2 averaged over 19mpg for the first 130k miles of its life (till traded it in on the tahoe with the 6.2). This new rig dosnt get that good of mileage…and with the smaller tank, it translates into more fuel stops as well. Not a deal killer by any means to me, but certainly a let-down.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To all the non believers that the 5.3 gets great mileage, possibilities are endless my friends…
The “best” mpg on the digital readout means nothing. Its probably only for 50 miles, when you were traveling very slow/easy down a long hill with wind behind your back. It will never get that type of average for several tankfuls or more of driving….or even one tank.

OP
OP
X

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the new body design is much worse on aerodynamics than the previous version? That might be why the two gasser motors get worse fuel mileage across the board.

My wifes ‘16 denali xl with the 6.2 averaged over 19mpg for the first 130k miles of its life (till traded it in on the tahoe with the 6.2). This new rig dosnt get that good of mileage…and with the smaller tank, it translates into more fuel stops as well. Not a deal killer by any means to me, but certainly a let-down.
What do you get? Isn't the tank of the current version 24 gal big?

muncie21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2014 Denali XL gets high 15's driving mostly (85%) highway at 70-85 MPH. At these speeds aerodynamics does play a larger role than driving at 55. You could possible eek out an additional .5 to 1 MPG driving slower.

TJ2004YUKON

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the difference between the 2 V8s when it comes to gas usage.

Can you guys throw your numbers over the fence?

What engine and what do you get on highway, city, combined?

Try to get a better picture. Thx
So Far with conservative driving and a 5.3 Tahoe it’s been about 12.4 or just around 12 mpg

Johnms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No one has mentioned the axel ratio, I guessing since the post was about a 4 x 4. Mine is a 09 2WD Yukon XL 1500 and has the 3.08 axel ratio. I get 21 on the hwy -18 in the city, 11 towing our small camper. The trade off for that ratio is that the towing capacity is 5400 (1833 payload) and their is no towing package. I added a trans cooler just to be safe.
You can check the RPO codes on the sticker in your glove box to determine your ratio.
GT4 AXLE REAR,3.73 RATIO (DUP WITH 5X1)
GT5 AXLE REAR,4.10 RATIO (DUP WITH GTS)
GT7 AXLE REAR,3.33 RATIO
GT8 AXLE REAR,4.10 RATIO (DUP WITH GT5)
GU2 AXLE REAR,2.73 RATIO
GU4 AXLE REAR,3.08 RATIO
GU5 AXLE REAR,3.23 RATIO
GU6 AXLE REAR,3.42 RATIO
Also, code G80 indicates the factory rear locker.

Docknow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
16.5 with mostly highway is not what I would consider as good mileage. My 5.3. 2017 Yukon does currently 20mpg on highway and did previously 24 when it had 20k miles less. 16 in city. I was expecting similar mileage with the new 5.3 and a bit less with the 6.2

But 16 ish is concerning to me. It's not that I can't afford it. It's just that it's not what I was expecting since I do not consider the guy from the gas station my best buddy. It just sucks when you need to fill up every 280 miles or so.
Right now I get at least 380-400 miles out of the tank with 60% city / 40% highway - more with more highway usage
My 2015 GMC Crew cab 6.2 averaged 24 consistently. My 2020 GMC Yukon 5.3 consistently gets 22-23 mpg. I use adaptive cruise on the Yukon And cruise on the crew cab. Most of my miles are highway. Very happy with my results

Docky50

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't calculate fuel milage as I really don't care and did not buy a massive yukon xl with any delusion it would get remotely good milage but according to the dash our lifetime average at 10k miles with our 5.3 has been 17.5 mpg. That is better than most of our other vehicles so zero complaints from me. Most our driving is on country roads/highways and not a lot of city
I drive 6 hours straight five days a week and even when I'm sitting, I don't turn it off. I fill up twice a week average about $180. I'm not concerned about the gas mileage, I like Tahoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo