Real Life MPG 5.3 / 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To all the non believers that the 5.3 gets great mileage, possibilities are endless my friends…

Attachments

• 083E99D0-7340-46AD-B9CF-C689A2667BBA.jpeg
    083E99D0-7340-46AD-B9CF-C689A2667BBA.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 27

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
To all the non believers that the 5.3 gets great mileage, possibilities are endless my friends…
I'm genuinely confused as to why people who buy a Full Size SUV with a 5.3 V8 engine (or those even who upgrade to 6.2) have concerns about their vehicle's fuel efficiency lol. Maybe you should have thought through what you were purchasing

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm genuinely confused as to why people who buy a Full Size SUV with a 5.3 V8 engine (or those even who upgrade to 6.2) have concerns about their vehicle's fuel efficiency lol. Maybe you should have thought through what you were purchasing
Oh believe me I am not concerned one bit. I drive like I stole it and bust donuts where I can. My post is to show higher mpg is capable with the lil Ol 5.3 and not just the duramax or previous gen 6.2’s. Now I ask, how did that get your panties all tied up?

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
Now I ask, how did that get your panties all tied up?
Oh I'm not lol. I saw another thread where people were talking about canceling their orders because of the gas price surge. I just find it odd and confusing. I just thought it was common sense - The larger the car & the larger the engine, the less friendly it is at the pump

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too would guess most who can legitimately afford one of these vehicles probably aren’t too concerned with the fuel mileage or rising gas prices. Others who are trying to keep up with the Jones’s and barely managed to qualify for one on a 10 year loan are probably stressing out watching the numbers at the pump rise

tall cool thing

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just drove my 2022 high country 120 miles, mostly highway and two lane roads with easy passing. I run all the time 12 to 15 over. This trip no different, ran mid upper 60s to low 80s. Average 16.5 mpg, which for this big boat, I am happy with. The performance of the 6.2 is wonderful. My hemi ram truck didnt do any better, so guess I am used to that mpg.

OP
OP
X

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just drove my 2022 high country 120 miles, mostly highway and two lane roads with easy passing. I run all the time 12 to 15 over. This trip no different, ran mid upper 60s to low 80s. Average 16.5 mpg, which for this big boat, I am happy with. The performance of the 6.2 is wonderful. My hemi ram truck didnt do any better, so guess I am used to that mpg.
16.5 with mostly highway is not what I would consider as good mileage. My 5.3. 2017 Yukon does currently 20mpg on highway and did previously 24 when it had 20k miles less. 16 in city. I was expecting similar mileage with the new 5.3 and a bit less with the 6.2

But 16 ish is concerning to me. It's not that I can't afford it. It's just that it's not what I was expecting since I do not consider the guy from the gas station my best buddy. It just sucks when you need to fill up every 280 miles or so.
Right now I get at least 380-400 miles out of the tank with 60% city / 40% highway - more with more highway usage

Last edited:

drmoose

Reaction score
5.3, Using the trip counter, one of which has not been reset from the start, I am at 17.9. This matches pretty much what I see on longer roads trips with some city driving, with the other trip counter. On the highway, I see 18-24 using the 50mile average computer, depending on wind and slope. City driving around us (not a lot of stop lights), its 14-16.Honesty this gets better gas mileage than my old 2004 Pathfinder, and barely worse than the Odyssey we used to have.

tall cool thing

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
XYrazy, do you run 83 to 85 miles and hour? I doubt it, I do all the time. For me, 16.5 is really good for that speed. My SS camaro does 25 mpg at 85, but that is a little car. So your concerns at 85 are probably not accurate for the speed you drive. That is why I put my speeds in the comment, so people would have an understanding of the mpg.

OP
OP
X

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
XYrazy, do you run 83 to 85 miles and hour? I doubt it, I do all the time. For me, 16.5 is really good for that speed. My SS camaro does 25 mpg at 85, but that is a little car. So your concerns at 85 are probably not accurate for the speed you drive. That is why I put my speeds in the comment, so people would have an understanding of the mpg.
You're right. I missed that. I get 20mpg 70 though. But yes for 85 I'd say it's fine