Randeez 2012 Budget Yukon Denali Build (stick on hood scoops galore)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also... power steering pump making noise, the only thing i didnt change

im going to change the turbo drain and trans cooler lines to ptfe (higher temp rating) the rubber hoses get pretty pliable after hot fluid runs thru them for a while.

still kinda iffy about driving a few hours to cleetus and cars next weekend in brandenton but i'll see how it goes this week, going to try and drive it to work everyday i can and try to break anything thats going to break so i can get it fixed.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
also... power steering pump making noise, the only thing i didnt change

im going to change the turbo drain and trans cooler lines to ptfe (higher temp rating) the rubber hoses get pretty pliable after hot fluid runs thru them for a while.

still kinda iffy about driving a few hours to cleetus and cars next weekend in brandenton but i'll see how it goes this week, going to try and drive it to work everyday i can and try to break anything thats going to break so i can get it fixed.
Hell yeah brother!!

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has a weird issue smoking too.
Seems to be bad after driving it a while sitting maybe an hour or less restart smokes like a *****.
I'm hoping it's the catchcan I've got connected between valley and intake. so I'm going to cap off the intake vacuum and let it just breath to air from valve covers and valley. Its sucking a bit of oil and I think it's just settling while the engine is warm in the back cylinders. While driving it burns up what little bit it sucks thru.
Cold starts dont really smoke

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
going back to stock, let me know if you want some parts

:devilfinger:

this has just about tested my patience and ambition.... i did go out to cars and coffee last sunday. after that trip it had some accessory squeeling. so i did the ol spray some lube on everything, power steering pump quieted down every time - great no problem. dealer wants $319 amazon $109...i really want this thing done but i guess i can wait till tuesday. tuesday comes shit doesnt get delivered till like 8 oclock at night. I got home a little early hoping it would be there and took off the old one, swapped turbo drain to ptfe, and (very important) got the transmission to shift into D3. before i could only get P-R-N-D- and no D3 cause of the lever on the shaft, the way this 4l80 (and every other one?) i guess when its in D3 it engages the clutches differently at launch. so i def need it to go there, and also my transbrake will only work in D3, D2, D1. :Nonono:

so PS pump/reservoir gets delivered finally swap it in right quick, fire it up and that wasnt even the goddamn noise. pulled all the idler pulleys, the tensioner is brand new, the alternator has about 1000 miles on it but 6 months old or so but it turned out to be the problem. so its like 8:30 i say **** it and run up to auto parts store and grab an alternator, swapped it and alls quiet.

been chasing my tail all week with tuning everything seems good at times then others it runs rough, so i start just at the basics. ignition coils, spark plugs, injectors. with hptuners you can turn on/off individual injectors but something wasnt working to try and identify any bad cylinders so i just pulled plug wires. cyl #3 pull the plug wire no change in idle. pull the plug it looks good, check the coil its sparking plenty, change the plug anyway, start it back up no difference pull plug and its bone dry. so injectors most likely gunked up. will be dropping them off tomorrow and hopefully they can get them done and i can pick them up at the end of the day. i re did a lot of the fuel system, flushed all the lines out but who knows, injectors could just not like sitting for a few months. hopefully they will clean up and get back to doing work. after i started messing with cyl 3 it wanted to run really rough and couldnt really get it running smooth enough to pull more plug wires but assumed all the injectors needed cleaned

Also have been baffled by some errant knock sensor readings at low rpm or even idle. it would idle along smooth for 5 minutes then knock sensor would pick up some noise and throw in like 8* retard. and you could audibly hear noise, but not like spark knocck and when you shut it off you would hear the same noise for a few minutes afterwards. couldve been lean cyl fire cause of injectors i dont know but that wouldnt explain it doing it after shutting it off. its a lot more noticeable on the passenger side but driverside valve cover is a lot easier to get off so i pulled it and it looks like rockers are hitting the baffles in the valve covers. so hopefully a new pair will get that straightened out

20191121_182919.jpg

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm now exhausted after following all of that! Good catch with finding the rocker contact on the baffles. Wouldn't a new pair just be the same? I'd dent the baffles with a straight line, like with a hammer on a wide scraper or chisel, for clearance.

Or, since those were modified, grab some risers?

https://www.amazon.com/Valve-Cover-...SZXH9TWC273&psc=1&refRID=E1ZSBER0MSZXH9TWC273

those would prob work but would bug me lol

a friend of mine has a pair of smooth ones from motion raceworks with 10an bungs already, i would have to relocate the coils for real though which isnt to bad might take an hour or two to make up all the ends and crap but wouldnt have to wait to order anything. he said come by and grab them if they work good if not just bring them back. i was looking at the stock ones they really arent all that low profile with with the cap and everything. just low on the sides where the fill cap is its about as tall

https://www.motionraceworks.com/products/motion-raceworks-gloss-black-valve-covers

also the rockers are hitting the baffle for the pcv not really the valve cover itself, so thats a good idea i could make a little hammer modification or just remove the baffles out all together

Last edited:

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought those Motion Raceworks covers were milled from billet aluminum judging by the pic. Absolutely beautiful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali

Latest posts