Randeez 2012 Budget Yukon Denali Build (stick on hood scoops galore)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the water situation ever remedy itself on the last combo? I remember you having problems but I can't remember the solution. Doesn't look like its lifting the heads and everything looks good to me. The staining in the cylinder wall does look odd but nothing jumps out as "broken". Heads look good?

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the water situation ever remedy itself on the last combo? I remember you having problems but I can't remember the solution. Doesn't look like its lifting the heads and everything looks good to me. The staining in the cylinder wall does look odd but nothing jumps out as "broken". Heads look good?
Nah that's why I'm ****** with engine again...I've blamed it on headgaskets but don't know anymore...I've done head gaskets more than a dozen times and never had this many probs

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there one single thing you DIDN'T change from the last combo? Other than heads them selves and short block

Shooting for that lightbulb moment and sometimes its the simplest thing we didn't think of until someone else mentions it.

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there one single thing you DIDN'T change from the last combo? Other than heads them selves and short block

Shooting for that lightbulb moment and sometimes its the simplest thing we didn't think of until someone else mentions it.
last time i changed the head gaskets while it was in the truck, thats why i assumed i just messed up with the head gasket or something.

the block stayed in the truck i scraped and cleaned up the surface

i'll take some pics of the heads, they were freshly resurfaced so no existing stains. you can see where the fire ring dug into them around the chambers a little close. but if coolant couldnt get to any one them i dont see how the gasket could have failed

dont know about this penetrating dye either.... i mean there is something there you can faintly feel it dragging a fingernail across it so dye will definitely sit in it anyway. after i throw the head on it i can try and put about 200psi on the cylinder thru the leak down tester and see if any bubbles make it into the water jacket - but thats prob still no where close to the pressure the cylinder makes running so it may not be enough

Last edited:
OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No more daily driver?
preposterous! i'll get a diff engine for the yukon.
this thing still ran fine and made a ton of power, im just burntout on the whole deal. i'll fill the block and put it in something and run it on 100% meth to keep it cool and fuggit. id pull the whole rotating assembly and throw it in a new block but then this one would end up a $3000 paper weight. rather just leave it together and use it for something

i slammed the heads on it last night with lsx gaskets and a generous amount of spray copper on both sides. torqued the big studs to 115ft lbs, the lower 4 to 70ftlbs, the ones in the valley cant really get a torque wrench on but they a whole lot tighter than the 30ftlbs it calls for. if it leaks it aint coming from the head gasket.

havent heard about tranny so who knows - will prob just throw engine back in this weekend and wait

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar