Radio lights won’t turn off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In reference to my rain through the sunroof, only issue I’m having is the radio lights not shutting off when the car is off. The light on the radio will not turn off.
Currently have it (the radio unit) drying for a couple hours underneath my AC in my house. Then gonna throw positive terminal back on and see if the issue persists. Any idea what is going on? Should I just get a new radio? It works fine and audio isn’t affected, It’s just the trim lights on the radio will not shut off.
C92E685B-86DD-4EB6-ADC9-174045ED27AA.jpegD126F591-6A16-4C12-8D49-EE12223B3922.jpeg

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be best to add this info to your ongoing thread, and not start another one.
I did, but it seems to get missed. Other than drying the car out I’m not sure what’s going on with it.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not really a matter if it's "allowed" or not, the mods don't generally do that here; it's just a recommendation from a brother on the forum. If you feel like another thread will get you the answer you're looking for, then go for it. But past experience tells us that multiple threads just scatter any answers you might get, and other members get tired of seeing the same thing in multiple places. To me it's like throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks, and makes a mess.

To your issue, like other responders have recommended, give it all time to dry out and do what you can to help that along. Leave it in the sun with the windows and sunroof open. Have patience. You can drive it without the radio if that bothers you; reinstall it in a week or so and see what to do next.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really a matter if it's "allowed" or not, the mods don't generally do that here; it's just a recommendation from a brother on the forum. If you feel like another thread will get you the answer you're looking for, then go for it. But past experience tells us that multiple threads just scatter any answers you might get, and other members get tired of seeing the same thing in multiple places. To me it's like throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks, and makes a mess.

To your issue, like other responders have recommended, give it all time to dry out and do what you can to help that along. Leave it in the sun with the windows and sunroof open. Have patience. You can drive it without the radio if that bothers you; reinstall it in a week or so and see what to do next.
That’s what I’ve been doing. I’ve had the radio out in front of a heated (not scalding heat) fan for over 12 hours drying.

The car is dry. It’s simply the radio lights will not shut off so I think I’m gonna have to go after market.

My question is what’s the issue? The radio or the wiring?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s what I’ve been doing. I’ve had the radio out in front of a heated (not scalding heat) fan for over 12 hours drying.

The car is dry. It’s simply the radio lights will not shut off so I think I’m gonna have to go after market.

My question is what’s the issue? The radio or the wiring?
Add me to the list of people who get annoyed when people post the same question in multiple places. ;)

The only way to know whether it's the wiring or the radio is either to 1/ replace the radio or 2/ break out your multimeter and start tracing wires and looking for shorts.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add me to the list of people who get annoyed when people post the same question in multiple places. ;)

The only way to know whether it's the wiring or the radio is either to 1/ replace the radio or 2/ break out your multimeter and start tracing wires and looking for shorts.
I don’t have experience with multimeters or tracing shorts in wires. I’m honestly afraid to get a new radio because I’m sure that will have issues to.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As stated above, starting new threads on an existing issue that you've already created a thread on won't get you more responses. In fact, as stated above, if the practice continues, you will get far less responses. This is not a knock, but some friendly advice on how to maximize the value of this Forum to you.

IMO, your best bet is to let the radio assembly dry out for at least another week, and then try it again to see if the lights operate properly. If not, then it may be time to consider the purchase of another head unit.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t have experience with multimeters or tracing shorts in wires. I’m honestly afraid to get a new radio because I’m sure that will have issues to.
I think another pattern I'm seeing here is that when people suggest a solution or a path forward to you, you give a reason why you don't think you can do it and then you go on asking more questions, continuing the pattern. I get that you're new to this, but so were all of us at one time. The ONLY way to learn is to roll up your sleeves and get in there. You can buy a $10 multimeter on Amazon that will do the job, and YouTube will be your friend as you learn the basics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork