Radiator Fan Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
im hoping that how you arrived at the 55 amps each is wrong! i just installed 2 acdelco 15-80881 700 watt motors in my 08 yukon denali which has the 5/7 rim fan set up. they are f'ing powerful/loud! the oe's were twin bosch 500. i dont think anything on the vehicle draws 55amps,lol i would hate to see one of the 12 yo plastic fans grenade and take out my new acdelco radiator, no good deed go's unpunished:893Chainsaw-Smilie-

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update to the 700 watt motor install, "SWATHDRIVER your math is correct" 55 amps peak/surge on high each!!! last night i took the daughter to get a smoothie and took the long way home with ac on. we noticed that when we slowed down to an idle to turn around the stereo changed stations and the clock reset? my guess the fans went to high, the current draw spiked and the electronics did not like it. i did manage to swap the old 500 watt motors in without removing the shroud from the car."pita" but didnt have to drop the coolant. i did put a ding in the brand new radiator! so im hoping no damage to the stereo and lesson learned! it was a $120 mistake, i wont tell the wife about my shinanigan.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update to the 700 watt motor install, "SWATHDRIVER your math is correct" 55 amps peak/surge on high each!!! last night i took the daughter to get a smoothie and took the long way home with ac on. we noticed that when we slowed down to an idle to turn around the stereo changed stations and the clock reset? my guess the fans went to high, the current draw spiked and the electronics did not like it. i did manage to swap the old 500 watt motors in without removing the shroud from the car."pita" but didnt have to drop the coolant. i did put a ding in the brand new radiator! so im hoping no damage to the stereo and lesson learned! it was a $120 mistake, i wont tell the wife about my shinanigan.
huh? which fan setup did you use that allowed you swap motors, 700w motors are bigger

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
huh? which fan setup did you use that allowed you swap motors, 700w motors are bigger

I think he went Dorman.

@thompsoj22
I'm glad you mentioned that your clock reset John. My wife was driving the truck the other day and the clock reset and was off, she reset the time and it's been good all week. Tomorrow I'll really really measure the battery's State of Charge" and decide whether or not to buy a new one.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the oe shroud 5/7 rimmed fans that came on the 08 accepted the new motors perfectly. the 700 motors were longer than the originals but the same diameter and mounts, plug and play. somewhere i wrote the numbers down for the 0e 500's and trying to source them as "new old stock" they were $270 each and hard to find. so i decided to go with the rock auto 15-80881 for $53 each. I realize you are having success running them and no doubt they are effective. In the summer i allready install a 2" alt pulley to help at idle based upon current draw using ac max/cooling fan's on high constantly in stop and go situations. One benefit of the RVC system is that it does turn the alternator down when it isnt needed so i can get away with the benefit of the smaller pulley at idle but at highway speeds RVC will control current/voltage when it isnt needed. The alt is still spinning faster and wearing quicker than with the oe 2&3/8 pulley but it isnt cooking the battery.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
interesting I went from the dual 5 blade to the 7/9 blade rimmed none of it was interchangeable other than the shroud mounted up the same way and the fan motor power harness was the same

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just ordered two more fan motors, VDO 89023368 and they are 500 watt. They were there the whole time, rock auto $157 shipped. So im up to $277 in fan motors so far, wifey is going to get an AMX bill that i will be doin some explaining. I did attempt to return but on the rock auto page it asked "did you install this on your vehicle"? now the little :flamingdevil:on my shoulder was saying "lie, say no! But the :Nonono: on the other shoulder won and i said yes, so "NO RETURN". LOL! i never let others pay for my fubar! cant take it with you!

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
So just ordered two more fan motors, VDO 89023368 and they are 500 watt. They were there the whole time, rock auto $157 shipped. So im up to $277 in fan motors so far, wifey is going to get an AMX bill that i will be doin some explaining. I did attempt to return but on the rock auto page it asked "did you install this on your vehicle"? now the little :flamingdevil:on my shoulder was saying "lie, say no! But the :Nonono: on the other shoulder won and i said yes, so "NO RETURN". LOL! i never let others pay for my fubar! cant take it with you!

Put them up for sale on here, someone will want them... or just send them to me for proper disposal.

OP
OP
F

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just received my new fan assembly: TYC 622210 from amazon.. Supposed to be the 7/9 blade set up.. As mine were replaced by PO
with a 7/7 blade aftermarket fan. I DO have the HD cooling/towing. So I really wanted to make sure I had the 7/9 Blade Assembly.
Well, the fan that showed up in the TYC box is a 7/7 set up.. So same as I already have.
Has anyone found a replacement true 7/9 set up ???? I'd really like to have max cooling as supposed to, esp with my mods and towing

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just received my new fan assembly: TYC 622210 from amazon.. Supposed to be the 7/9 blade set up.. As mine were replaced by PO
with a 7/7 blade aftermarket fan. I DO have the HD cooling/towing. So I really wanted to make sure I had the 7/9 Blade Assembly.
Well, the fan that showed up in the TYC box is a 7/7 set up.. So same as I already have.
Has anyone found a replacement true 7/9 set up ???? I'd really like to have max cooling as supposed to, esp with my mods and towing

i think the used ones i saw on ebay were out of 2500 silverado trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tim j