Radiator Fan Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
The 2011 and up all have 5 blade rimless. But there is the K5L, 5 blade rimless, that had dual 700w motors. Then the non K5L, 5 blade rimless, had dual 500w motors. The shrouds for both look almost the same, but the K5L ones have this part number

View attachment 246997

My numbers are 20923003

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just curious if you know what alternator powered the dual 700w motors. our system's gradually step them up to high but my 08 yukon denali with the DR-44 165 amp did not like the 700 duals at idle?
generally the highest they put on these trucks is 160amp factory. even the ppv/ssv get a 160amp
I upgraded mine to a 250amp mechman that puts out 180amps at idle #8302250

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just curious if you know what alternator powered the dual 700w motors. our system's gradually step them up to high but my 08 yukon denali with the DR-44 165 amp did not like the 700 duals at idle?

I have the factory 160 amp alt, and my dual 700w fans on high with the engine just idling, will make my volt gauge go down between the 12v and 14v until I start moving. I have dual batteries which help a lot though.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
generally the highest they put on these trucks is 160amp factory. even the ppv/ssv get a 160amp
I upgraded mine to a 250amp mechman that puts out 180amps at idle #8302250

oops! you are correct, DR-44 160 amp is what i have. I was looking at those mechman alt's when i was trying to fix the wandering volt gauge only to eventually learn about RVC. They are nice.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oops! you are correct, DR-44 160 amp is what i have. I was looking at those mechman alt's when i was trying to fix the wandering volt gauge only to eventually learn about RVC. They are nice.
ya I have been looking at alternators since then and after I bought my 18 Silverado, I ended up buying a factory 220amp for my 1500 Silverado that came off of a 3500 silverado for $100 (as a gamble because it looked the same and walla it fit and works!), after looking at that alternator closer it appears it will fit on my 2012 yukon also, has the same plug and the mounting holes are in the same position and the wiring plug is the same. but no charts show them being compatible, so there could be some inherent difference or it may not fit right even though I measured externally and it should. funny thing the casing on the mechman for my yukon is virtually the same and the internal "pressed diodes" are the same as the oem alternator for the 3500. still might be some difference in the pulley or something but if anyone has a decent wrecking yard close by the option code is "kw5" they come with either a regular pulley or a decoupled pulley, you will want one with a regular pulley. The only difference I can see in them is the kw5 one has a extra piece on the casing that sticks up almost looks like a bolt hole but attaches to nothing and basically serves no purpose and on the k2xxx it installs on the passenger side, but the mounts measure the same and the plugs are in the same position as the nnbs. It might work.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
here is one with a regular pulley on a 15 silverado (opt kw5 220amp) mounted on the drivers side, unless that pulley is different somehow I see no reason it wont work on a 07-14
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alternator...657725?hash=item4b786870bd:g:EbMAAOSwHNhenxy6
just bought one, Thanks for the tip! Im just hoping that this higher amp alt puts out more "idle amps" than the DR-44 160 alt at idle. if it does this may resolve my new 700 watt fan motor upgrade,which didnt work out for me so swapped the old 500's back in, i havent installed the new 500's yet as it is a pita to do with the upper hose remaining in place and not draining the coolant so i could return them. im also adding a remote fan tranny cooler under/behind the front bumper fascia which will also draw an additional 12-15 amps so this could cure everything. Im just wondering in the helos i work on the system senses "over/under voltage" of any applied power to portect the electrical systems. anything like that incorporated into 08 denali that would sense this change. Gotta love this forum! Also any tip's on getting the coolant out/down far enough to remove the upper hose only without creating niagra falls with the lower hose removal?

Reaction score
Isn't there a petcock drain on one of the bottom corners of the radiator like most vehicles?

Also, if the alt isn't charging enough at idle, either raise the idle a bit with a tuner or swap on a slightly smaller alt pulley.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18